Enlarge laptop video memory

taakberg

I have got an Toshiba Tecra 9100 series laptop, with S3 SuperSavage 16 MB Video Card. But 16 MB is a little too less for me.

Is there any way i could enlarge the memory?

Sorry for my english, i am dutch :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You have a look in the BIOS to see if there is an option to set the onboard video memory higher. Usually the maximum is 32MB :)

b3n

VIP Member
I have a laptop with 16mb ATI Mobility Radeon, it would be great if i could crank that up:)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think youll be able to do it with the Mobility Radeons as they use discrete memory but hunt around :)

taakberg

I have taken a look in the BIOS, but there was nothing about the video memory there.

Isn't there just a chip to be replaced by a larger one so I have more memory?

Bobo

banned
taakberg said:
I have taken a look in the BIOS, but there was nothing about the video memory there.

Isn't there just a chip to be replaced by a larger one so I have more memory?

Replacing a chip in a laptop is almost impossible

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
replacing the video card with a faster one, or one with more memory (usually goes hand in hand) is usually pretty easy.

taakberg

I have already sent an e-mail to Toshiba, but they said no video card can be replaced, because the video card is simply an on-board video card of the motherboard. So I probably have to replace the entire motherboard, or buy another laptop.... both quite expensive.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That's odd. I changed the video card in an HP laptop a couple months ago and that Toshiba looks to be roughly the same age as the HP was. But looking at the site (I should have done this before :rolleyes: ) it only has battery and memory access panels on the bottom

taakberg

Maybe it is because I have two video outputs, 1 analoge, and 1 ...well... for a display.... I don't know the word for that kind of plug in english :)

Anyway, if the video card isn't replaceable, what other options do I have?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are probably down to either a new laptop or a new motherboard. Never having changed a laptop motherboard I don't know how easy/hard it would be