Enlighten me about 2 monitor setup please

ssal

I have a dell desktop that I can plug a regular monitor to thru the VGA interface. It also have a HDMI port that I can plug another monitor to it.

If I do that, would both the monitor display the same screen?

I want to plug two monitors to it so I can, let's say, in Photoshop, drag the layer, history, property panels to a smaller screen while having the large editing screen on the larger monitor.

Can I do it with my set up?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will only be able to use existing monitor and 1 more using that setup. In order to get 3 total monitors you would either have to use a second video card or a display port.

ssal

So, if I have only one graphic card with different ports in the same card (VGA, HDMI), and if I plug two different monitors to each of the interfaces, would both monitor display the same information?

Again, my objective is to be able to, n Photoshop, drag the layer, history, property panels to a smaller screen while having the large editing screen on the larger monitor.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can either extend the main display or copy the main display. Most people want to extend the main screen which is what you are looking to do.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Again, my objective is to be able to, n Photoshop, drag the layer, history, property panels to a smaller screen while having the large editing screen on the larger monitor.
You could just get a 1080p ultrawide and skip the dual screen thing. Unless you already have 2 monitors and is trying to get it to work.

ssal

I already have a 24" monitor hooked up. I have a smaller monitor that I am trying to move the menu and utility panels to leaving the 24" for only the picture.

ramirez

So, if I have only one graphic card with different ports in the same card (VGA, HDMI), and if I plug two different monitors to each of the interfaces, would both monitor display the same information?

One monitor would display your desktop icons while the other would be similar as far as showing the same background an start menu on each side as well as date and time. With the Nvidia control panel you can set one monitor as the primary and the other as the secondary which you would be able to drag whatever you are viewing to the secondary monitor.

I already have a 24" monitor hooked up. I have a smaller monitor that I am trying to move the menu and utility panels to leaving the 24" for only the picture.
Yep you should be able to do this no problem