EPIC FAIL!! lol 4870

Stildawn

Ok I tried OC my card as per one of my other posts.

Heres what I did kinda ran my own little benchmark.

Crysis - Very High 1440x900 in window (Village scene taking out tanks)

Settings 1:
Fan: 40%
GPU: 750mhz
Mem: 900mhz
Temp: 41 idle. 54c load
FPS: 23-30

Settings 2:
Fan: 50%
GPU: 850mhz
Mem: 1200mhz
Temp: 41c idle, 54c load
FPS: 18-25 - Followed by epic crash....

So yeah maxed out my card in CCC overdrive and it caused lower FPS followed by Crysis crashing....

Where did I go wrong?? Lol. As in my other post my CCC overdrive when all the sliders were up still said 750mhz by 900mhz??? Did it even OC at all?

On a side note lol dont underclock your card below 750mhz as it will also crash crysis at the menu lol.

ghost

Memory took a big step up!, try knocking that down a bit or keep the memory at stock and try just OCin the GPU...

Stildawn

Is it not able to go that high? Or does the GPU and Mem have to be balanced?

Whats setting you reckonmend?

gamerman4

If your FPS drops after an OC, most likely it is too high of an OC and the card got unstable (as made obvious by the crash).
Start by forcing the fan to permanent %100 and then back the OC down a bit.

ghost

I recommend you step up your GPU 15/30mhz at a time and benchmark/stability test every time you change the frequencies. But leave the mem frequency at stock for now!

When you start to see them tell tail signs of a to high OC you turn it down a little and try again.

Once you have found a good OC then start playing with the mem frequency in the same manor. But I suggest you don't push the mem to hard.

There are other ways to get good OC's but looking back I have found this is the best way IMO...

I'm sure others will also give you alternative ways to OC too...

Stildawn

Haha so I was too hard too fast, fair enough, Although the card didnt over heat at all it just crashed?

But cheers Ill try that again tonight when I get home from work.. When should I start seeing results?

When you start to see them tell tail signs of a to high OC

What signs am I looking for here, sorry im rather new to OCing.

gamerman4

Easy signs of a high OC with graphics card are things called artifacts. They are graphical glitches caused by unstable clock speeds. Here are the two main ones.

Polygon stretch:
settlersbug2de9.png

Colored pixels:
artifacts1.jpg

Last edited:

Jerrick

I just let CCC do the auto tune, and it set it pretty high. Works fine in crysys, and all other games.

Keep trying. Youll get it.

Stildawn

I dont even know what auto tune does? I clicked it once but I dont think it did anything, if so how do you turn it off?

Ive heard that CCC limits your OC ability anyway (well ive read heaps of ppl saying that they cant OC high enough with it)

Then again, I dont want to push the thing too much cause it does just have stock cooling.

Stildawn

Ok heres what I did, I had to go out to a concert so I didnt have time to do it all but I did the GPU. Stressing with 3dmark sm2 and sm3 gpu tests.

780mhz - SM2: 4553, SM3: 5629
800mhz - SM2: 4587, SM3: 5669
820mhz - SM2: 4655, SM3: 5717
850mhz - SM2: 4726, SM3: 5803 - Max that CCC can go.

Now on the last test at 850mhz artifacts happened in both the SM3 tests. So I take that as a fail. Funny thing is, when I went back to CCC to drop it down to 820mhz when I clicked "test custom clocks" it is coming back failed... Maybe Ill try again in the morning.

So does that mean that I cant get it any higher??? Ive seen other people post that they dont use CCC cause it doesnt go high enough?? And it cant be cooling cause it never gets above 56c ish with the fan at 60%??

gamerman4

If you are trying to overclock an ATI card, just use Atitool. It comes with a really good artifact tester and its easy to use, try those settings and let the artifact tester run for a while.

Stildawn

Also another question.

I do a dual boot between vista and xp, on xp the card is at stock as I dont play demanding games on Xp (just cossacks 2, civ 4 etc) would jumping between OC and stock damage the card?

gamerman4

No, most OC programs actually will only OC the card when they detect that 3D software is being run so your card would actually go through many cycles of standard to OC.