Error: Drive won't Open Writable Folder

rars222

I was having trouble with my Mitsumi CD/RW, so I decided to upgrade to a Lite-on 16x dual drive - thinking it will be all better.

I desperately want to back up my music files and photo files. I can burn music CD's from iTunes.

But if I insert a blank media into the drive, autoplay gives me several options. If I choose to open a writable CD folder to drag and drop files I get an error message

F:\ Is not accessible
Incorrect Function

What gives? I have wind XP Pro SP1 (was waiting to upgrade to SP2 until I could back up important files)

I installed the DVD as it was previously setup with the Mitsumi. The CD rom is the master and the Lite-on DVD RW is the slave. Should I reverse that, will it make a huge difference?

Now that I know it probably isn't the Mitsumi, I can re-install that & chuck the basic CD rom.

First, can someone help with the error
Second, can someone suggest the ideal configuration.

Bobo

banned
rars222 said:
I was having trouble with my Mitsumi CD/RW, so I decided to upgrade to a Lite-on 16x dual drive - thinking it will be all better.

I desperately want to back up my music files and photo files. I can burn music CD's from iTunes.

But if I insert a blank media into the drive, autoplay gives me several options. If I choose to open a writable CD folder to drag and drop files I get an error message

F:\ Is not accessible
Incorrect Function

What gives? I have wind XP Pro SP1 (was waiting to upgrade to SP2 until I could back up important files)

I installed the DVD as it was previously setup with the Mitsumi. The CD rom is the master and the Lite-on DVD RW is the slave. Should I reverse that, will it make a huge difference?

Now that I know it probably isn't the Mitsumi, I can re-install that & chuck the basic CD rom.

First, can someone help with the error
Second, can someone suggest the ideal configuration.

Open My Computer, double click on the drive with a cd/dvd in it, and see what comes up. I doubt it will work, but it doesn't hurt to try....

magicman

VIP Member
Have you enabled recording on the new drive?

Someone else was having problems with this, right click on the drive in question (My Computer), click properties and check the tick box in the Recording Tab.

rars222

Thanks Magicman. Sometimes you are too close to the situation to see the obvious. It seems to be working fine.

At input for drive configuration. I was reading it would be less taxing on the HD to have the DVD writer a master...

magicman

VIP Member
Ur welcome glad it's sorted. As far as the ideal configuration, if we're talking IDE here what you have at the mo should be fine. Just remember to always have one slave and one master per slot

Last edited: