Error message comes up and gives me a time limit...

Fure6

My computer has had a problem latley...i have XP professional.

I go online and start writing emails with the MSN program and an error message comes up (attacted picture).

It gives me a minute to save whatever i'm doing [you can see the time limit on there] and it just shuts down and restarts! This happened about 5 times to me yesterday when i was on the computer for about 20 minutes. and now it has come up again. i have 30 seconds...bye

Fure6

Thanks man! I hope it'll work. That message came up 4 times now...it is very annoying.

Fure6

That Stinger program didn't work. I downloaded it and scanned my pc right away and it didn't detect anything.

nomav6

turn on your firewall in XP this is just a temp fix that you can use while you download the updates to finish that nasty bug off

UrbanDragon

Turning on your firewall will not stop the RPC from crashing I dont think?

Go to start>settings> control panel> administrative tools> from there go into services.

Scroll down the list until you find RPC (Remote Procedure Call) right click on it and click properties.

Go to the recovery tab and choose to restart service on failure.

Issue temporarily fixed.

Next jump over to www.symantec.com and run their free online av scan. or download AVG from www.grisoft.com and use it. Its free and it works.

Thus your issue will be resolved.

Fure6

I'll try. When i did my restoration i didn't have any more space after i did it to fit the firewall in there. (look at my most recent post, this happened again after i restored XP)

My firewall is insalled right now and there hasn't been an issue, but it's only been 3 minutes since i signed on. The firewall that i'm using right now is the stuff that Microsoft sends in the windows secerity update CD, EZ ARMOR LE.

UrbanDragon

You are getting a virus similar to the blaster virus that kills the RPC protocal. When the RPC process is killed windows automatically gives you the timer. If you will do what I said earlier to set the RPC to restart when it fails this will allow you to fix the issue by installing a AV package. My recommendation on AntiVirus is AVG because it is free and it works.

nomav6

:) its good to see that its not kicking you off anymore but I would keep looking into it until you get the virus removed, if you do any file sharing the firewall will stand in your way from time to time, just though I would suggest it so you would then have time to fix it without being booted ever 2-3 minutes.

Fure6

well, the thing is-is that the firewall that i use notifies me when something is trying to access my computer or the internet. So lets say KAZAA is trying to access the internet, somthing will pop up asking for permission.