Error message

Will

Guess this goes in here, but here goes anyway.
Anyway, having my PC now built and done, i turned it on first time, fingers crossed. Came up telling me it can boot of the floppy disk, so i opened up the bios to change it to boot off the Hard Disk. Anyway, having done that, i checked the other settings to make sure they were all OK, then saved and exited. The CPU reached about 25 degrees during this stage, as i have bought a HS/F rated up to an Athlon 3200, and i have a Duron 1100 (Mhz, unknow actual name), i think this was OK. When it restarted, the bios beeped continually, and the screen said something along the lines of 'CPU fan not funtioning coreectly' and turned off after a few minutes. This is probably an easy to solve basic newbie to building PC's error, but as it worked first time, i am a bit confused by it. Any help appreciated folks. I did apply a thin layer of the thermal compound to the core of the CPU, (just the middle bit), and places the HS/F ontop. Thanks.

Edit: The fan is spinnig, btw.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What mobo do you have? Some BIOSs have alerts for when the CPU fan's rpms dont meet expected values.

and turned off after a few minutes
Was it hot when it turned off (ie., AMD's autokill when overheating approach)?