Ethernet cable issues

Intel182

Yesterday, I picked up a Cat 6 crossover cable, I plugged them into the back of my computer with Windows XP SP2, and my bros which has windows XP SP1. I never tried LAN before, and the first thing that popped up said, Little or No Connectivity. My bros computer said everything was fine and connected on his side. When we tried playing a LAN game of Battlefield 1942, the created game would not show up on the Local games list. I tried changing the IP address, and that got rid of the Little or no Connectivity sign, but we still cannot play LAN games. This is driving me insane. Can anyone help me?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm

Maybe something to do with the fact that it's a CAT6 cable? Unless you have a gigabit LAN, it could cause problems.

JAN :D

Intel182

well, I have an internal modem, and i dont have a router, because I have dial-up. I just want to play games on it once in a whiel I dont want a proper network. And cat 6 should be fine, right? its a crossover. And I have a 100mbit LAN it says that both are connected, but no games are under the local games list.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Cat 6 should be fully backwards compatible, and can work with 100Mbs networks. Does either computer have a firewall that could be blocking the game?

ilovefishsticks

when you go under network connections on the control pannel, did you set up a network? also u said u had sp2, which has a firewall. You might have to unblock the port, just go to control pannel, firewall, and their should be a way to unblock programs and ports. Just ublock either bf1942 under program files/ea games/bf1942(assuming this is the directory) and choose the exe file. Or just unblock the port that the host has the server on.
EX. you make a server on say 192.168.1.101:35000. 35000 is the port so you would choose to unblock that port.

I might not be understanding your question, so if not just say so