Ethernet connection

Mickfitz

My router is in the lounge on the first floor of a barn property. The WIFI in the bedroom at the extreme end of the barn on the first floor is very poor. I have tried boosters with no success. The house has two mains electrical systems thus stopping any access via ring mains. I have contacted sky who not been able to resolve the question.
I am considering running a long ethernet cable from the router to a second router. 'The cable will run outside of the property direct from router to router. The distance would require a cable of a length of 50 meters. Please advise of any specific cable grade and the appropriateness of this solution.

beers

Staff member
That's fine, cat6 rolls gigabit out to 100 meters per the specification.

I'd bury it in PVC or something, they have an outdoor rated cable that has a more durable coating. You'll also increase your lightning surface along the ground, you could alternatively roll fiber with media converters if that is a concern.

Mickfitz

That's fine, cat6 rolls gigabit out to 100 meters per the specification.

I'd bury it in PVC or something, they have an outdoor rated cable that has a more durable coating. You'll also increase your lightning surface along the ground, you could alternatively roll fiber with media converters if that is a concern.
Thanks for the advice.

Mickfitz

Further to this. For clarity. I intend to connect the main Sky router via the cat6 ethernet to the second Belkin router as the laptop does not have an ethernet port. From this Belkin router a wireless connection to the laptop.
Is this possible.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. You'll need to turn dhcp off on the second router, change the internal ip to match first router. Example first router is 192.168.1.1 Second router should be 192.168.1.2. Make sure you connect ethernet cable from Lan port on first router to Lan port on Second router not the wan/internet port.

DavidG

You can certainly do it using a second router as @johnb35 says, and if you already have a second router that's fine. As you say you already have a booster if it has an ethernet port a simpler way would be to simply to terminate your ethernet cable with a booster set to AP mode

Last edited:

Mickfitz

Thanks to all. I resolved the problem by purchasing a TP-LINK (TL-WR940N) 450Mbps Wireless N Cable Router, 4-Port, WPS, MIMO × 1 and set it up in extender mode. Using wireless I now have internet in my blackspot location