Ethernet has incorrect IP adress

I am asking for my mother in laws PC. She has WiFi, but no internet. Ran a test to renew IP Config. Message tells me that Ethernet has invalid IP address. Did this several times and my nephew spent two hours checking it. Rebooting the router several times as well as the Modem. This happened right after she lost power for 30 minutes. We took to the local guy who has been in business for years. At his shop, everything checked out good. No message at all. Could this be a Modem problem? Like I stated, she has TV and WiFi which all go through the router. This is a Fios system. Even replaced the Ethernet cable.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the computer works fine at a different place then its definitely an issue with either the internet service or router/modem. Try connecting pc directly to modem and see if internet works. If it does then you know its the router.

It does not have that sort of modem. Fios uses a flat thing about 7” long that mounts to the wall. Not even sure it’s called a Modem, it does have a router though. As you can tell, I am not very well versed in this field

It is actually called the ONT box, whatever that does. Optical Network Terminal. Can that be connected directly to the PC? She has WiFi so the router is doing something

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried plugging into a different port on the router? So she can get internet with the wifi, just not ethernet? I'm not well educated on Fios technology so can't tell you how its works. Might have to get tech support out there.

The router feeds the TV, landline and Cell phone. I am going there tomorrow to find out more. I know there are 5 ports on the router. I’ll check to see what up. You are very helpful, Thank you

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
It is actually called the ONT box, whatever that dies. Optical Network Terminal. Can that be connected directly to the PC? She has WiFi so the router is doing something

The ONT is basically a signal converter between optical and Cat6. Fios optical line comes in, ethernet cable goes to your hardware. Unfortunately, the data needs to be processed through the Verizon router, so no you can't just plug it in to the computer.

The fact that wifi is there but the wired system can't see tells us that your fios signal is fine. Have you tried switching the cable from the router to the pc? Did you reboot the router or reset it? There's a difference. Rebooting (commonly done by unplugging for 20 seconds or so) just loads everything up, resetting will revert everything to normal and you'll have to set up a wifi network and router password again.

I understand now about the ONT now. The router was rebooted and also reset by my nephew. He is pretty knowledgeable with this stuff. Might have to get Verizon involved with this one. I think one of their hardware components is not doing it’s job.