Ethernet not working but wifi works fine

MrSnek

I attached an image of my resource monitor it shows me trying to download. The weird part is sometimes it goes up to my normal speed(32mb/s) for like 5 seconds and then it drops to not working at all and when I try to load a website I have to refresh a few times and pray.

I tried connecting the wire to my laptop (same wire and wall port) and it works fine. I ran malwarebytes and found one threat but the problem was not solved. I ran it again a few more time and it says I don't have anything else.

I have no idea what's (kinda computer noob) going on so any help would help.
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 3

beers

Staff member
Usually a NIC that's failing will give you similar behavior, especially if another device (ie, laptop) works fine using the same cable/port.

MrSnek

Usually a NIC that's failing will give you similar behavior, especially if another device (ie, laptop) works fine using the same cable/port.
Do you know of any solutions that might help me? I built this computer less than 6 months ago is there any program that can detect if this is actually the problem?

beers

Staff member
If you had another network card laying around you could throw it in your PC to test.

Alternatively you could use a liveCD like Ubuntu and see if you get similar problems to rule out a windows/software/driver problem.

MrSnek

If you had another network card laying around you could throw it in your PC to test.

Alternatively you could use a liveCD like Ubuntu and see if you get similar problems to rule out a windows/software/driver problem.
I performed another test:
I connected my router to the same wall as my desktop was connected to and then connected my desktop to the router (same wire) and it works any idea what's going on?