Windows 7 Ethernet not working

Tenepe

Hi all,

My ethernet connection was coming in and out for a week and now has disappeared altogether. I have a wifi adapter, but it's pretty slow.

I tried updating drivers, but get an error message. In Device Manager, the only things that show up under Network adapters is NETGEAR WNDA3100v3 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter (my wifi adapter) and Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface (Code 10)

I've checked the cable on my laptop and it works just fine. I'm not sure whether it's a software or hardware issue.

Any thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say your ethernet port has died altogether. You could get a new ethernet card and install it in the system. Depending on what system you have you could get either a PCI or PCI express adapter. What system do you have?

Tenepe

I would say your ethernet port has died altogether. You could get a new ethernet card and install it in the system. Depending on what system you have you could get either a PCI or PCI express adapter. What system do you have?

The port is still lit up, which had me hoping it wouldn't be broken. Bummer.

upload_2018-8-31_11-35-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-31_11-35-25.png
    upload_2018-8-31_11-35-25.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well if it doesn't appear in device manager or in Belarc advisor then its shot but I can't see all the info from belarc. But yes, usually if its lit up, its negotiating data. Maybe try resetting cmos?

Tenepe

Well if it doesn't appear in device manager or in Belarc advisor then its shot but I can't see all the info from belarc. But yes, usually if its lit up, its negotiating data. Maybe try resetting cmos?
upload_2018-8-31_19-10-58.png

upload_2018-8-31_19-11-26.png

upload_2018-8-31_19-12-7.png

Sorry, here's the rest! I'll give that a try and get back to you.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-31_19-10-26.png
    upload_2018-8-31_19-10-26.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2018-8-31_19-10-34.png
    upload_2018-8-31_19-10-34.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 1

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to that image belarc does see the ethernet connection. Go back into device manager and enable hidden devices and see if it shows up. It's very possible you have a malware infection.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like you have 2 ethernet ports in your computer. Intel 82567LF and Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller. Looks like you have some driver issues with the intel card and your USB controller. Make sure the ethernet cable is plugged into the right port.

Tenepe

The ethernet cable is plugged into the same port it always has been. But, I ran Malwarebytes and this is what it found:

upload_2018-9-4_5-55-37.png

I recognize one as just part of panda security obviously, but no idea what the first one is. However, since I've ran that, and quarantined the program, ethernet is working again! So weird.