Ethernet splitter?

Okay, I need some sort of device that will let me do the following.
Take 1 Ethernet cable, plug it into the female end of the device, in putting the internet into that device, then two other Ethernet ports that 1 can go into my PC, and one can go into my Xbox 360.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes you have to configure the router to receive internet, you just can't plug in and go.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Any way I can go about that JohnB?

I'm no JohnB, but I am a JayP, so close enough maybe. If your router came with a CD, it should have configuration files on it. If not, you could try calling your ISP (they may or may not charge you, though).

starlitjoker

can you use the splitters for cable tv? for internet i think you can because thats what i did last year when we were in a different house. there was one cable jack, do i put in a splitter (we have comcast internet/tv) 1 went to tv the other to my modem :D

Well the router came with an installation disk, I follow that shit to period, and when I run the final thing it says router is not connected, makes me want to break this shit with a hammer because I payed 80 dollars for this shit.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Call the maker of the router and its possible they will help you set it up. If the router is bad then they will be able to tell if its bad or not.

PohTayToez

I'm no JohnB, but I am a JayP, so close enough maybe. If your router came with a CD, it should have configuration files on it. If not, you could try calling your ISP (they may or may not charge you, though).

I'm no JayP, but I am a TrevorT, and I say never run the disk that comes with a router. It's just bloatware that tends to cause more problems that it solves.

Typical router setup just involves you running cable from your modem to the router's WAN port, which is often labeled "Internet". Then you just connect any other computer to any of the other ports on the router. Setup can vary depending on other factors, but this is what is most common.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I had to setup a router on clients computer the other day and I couldn't get it work without running the setup cd. They have comcast and usually its just a matter of hooking the router up and your surfing the web, no configuration required. It was one of the new wireless N routers though and i'm used to working with G routers.

PohTayToez

Well, anything you do through the setup CD should be able to be done just by accessing the router's setting directly. I just hate how network equipment manufacturers have the need to try and make you use their software when Windows connection utilities work just fine and are less bulky.