Ethernet Switch Help Needed!!!!

tecknopunk

So, let me begin by stating 2 things: 1 I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posing in and 2 I don't know as much as I thought I did. So here is my situation, I am wanting to hardwire my ps3, xbox 360, pc, and wireless router all to my modem. So on cyber monday I bought myself what would seem to be decent looking ethernet switch. I plugged my modem up to the switch as well as my ps3, xbox, pc, and wireless router. The wireless router is the only thing that seems to be detecting the signal from the modem. I have scoured the internet looking for solutions. I keep coming across some people saying a router is a requirement and other people saying that they have their computers and game consoles setup using just a switch. So what I am wanting to know is if it is actually possible to hook up my computer, wireless router, and consoles up with my switch without having to buy a router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A switch can't be plugged into the modem directly. It must go modem to router to switch.

A router is required to handle all the internet IP addresses and to share internet to all devices. A switch allows you to add more devices to your network but a router must be attached to the modem first.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Until a router is attached to the system, you will only get an ip address for one device attached to your network. If you need to have wireless capability in a different from from the modem then one of your options would be to get a second router to extend your wireless capability. I can tell you how to hook it up.

tecknopunk

well poop, I was hoping to not have to buy any more things, but deep down I had a feeling a router was my inevitable future. thanks