ethernet switch/router plz help!

exist2inspire

hey i have a 256k internet connection currently connectd to my pc. i now have to share this connection with my father, who has a desktop, n my sis who has a laptop. wat am i required to do?? bear in mind i dont wanna network n link our systems together bcoz of security reasons. i just wanna share the connection with em, ie allow them to use the 256k internet as well. do i need to buy a router or a switch or wat?! plz help reply asap thx..

exist2inspire

oh n i dont hav a lan card thing so do i need to buy 1?? n can sum1 simply xplain the difference b/w n network switch n a router. thx..

slaphappylinksys

a switch is a dumb piece of computer equipment that just splits up your connection and is a little more difficult to use than i like to us.

a router is a smarter device that can automaticaly give ip addresses and much more and is the easiest darn thing out there to use.

now i personaly would get a wireless router, as you CAN turn off the wireless, think of later down the road you might want one and this way you dont have to shoot yourself in the foot for not getting a wireless router instead of just a corded router.

i would suggest the linksys wrt 54g cost around $60 us and is well liked amongst other CF users.

heres a link to newegg and its $49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=wrt54g

hope this helps

exist2inspire

thx i get ur point. but if i dont wanna get wireless/not willin to spend that amount, will a switch do the job? like does the speed get evenly divided if my dad and/or sis come online the computers have independent access to the net n dont have to be networked together right? coz if this is true then the switch is fine for the task rite? although i will keep ur point in mind.. coz in pakistan, a cheap ehternet switch is available for what is equal to $10, so if its fine then i dont want to spend around $50 on router n plus get a wireless lan card thingy for me n my dad's desktop..

exist2inspire

if i get a switch, does the data downloaded get transmittted to all the pc's connected at that time?? that is a major point, i want the traffic to be managed individually n stuff..if thats not possible then i mite buy a router..thx in advance..

ghost

a switch is a dumb piece of computer equipment that just splits up your connection and is a little more difficult to use than i like to us.

Think you got mixed up or haven't worded that correctly...

A hub can be used for what you need, it is simple and sends all the packets it receives to everything its connected to. Then you have the switch, the switch is smarter than a hub because it can look at the packets it receives, gets the ip address from the packets and then sends the packets to that node/pc on the network rather than sending the packets to everyone.

Wanna get tlarkin on here, I'm sure he can word it better :D

Either way just get a switch mate, yes it will do the job you need it for.

Last edited:

exist2inspire

no i dont have dsl.. i have a cable operator thing. i dont have a pci external lan card, but im sure i have an in-built one. on device manager its showing my network adapter as 'realtek rtl8168/8111 pci-e gigabit ethernet nic'.. so its that alrite or i have to get something else?

hey i have a 256k internet connection currently connectd to my pc.
oh n i dont hav a lan card thing so do i need to buy 1?? n can sum1 simply xplain the difference b/w n network switch n a router. thx..
What type of internet connection is that? I've never heard of dialup faster than 56k but if you don't have a LAN card then you must not have DSL...

All other information is irrevelant until this information is known...

a router is a smarter device that can automaticaly give ip addresses and much more and is the easiest darn thing out there to use.
Right about the smart/dumbness, but completely wrong about ease of use. A router needs to be set up with the modem to provide the correct connection(static/dynamic IP, PPPoE, PPTP, etc; DHCP needs to be configured, MAC addresses, wireless, etc etc etc) whereas a switch is almost always just plug and go.

but if i dont wanna get wireless/not willin to spend that amount, will a switch do the job?
Yes, strictly speaking. However this still leaves the above contradiction...

like does the speed get evenly divided if my dad and/or sis come online the computers have independent access to the net n dont have to be networked together right?
Not quite sure what you're asking there. The bandwidth will be split up as necessary. If one person needs more, they will get more, until you run out, then it will split it as seen fit.
If they are connected together by a switch/router, then they are networked period in the strict sense. However, this does not mean you need to have file/printer sharing enabled.

so if its fine then i dont want to spend around $50 on router n plus get a wireless lan card thingy for me n my dad's desktop..
How will your dad connect to the internet without a wireless card? If he's wireless then you need either a wireless switch or a wireless router

if i get a switch, does the data downloaded get transmittted to all the pc's connected at that time??
No. It goes where it needs to go.
that is a major point, i want the traffic to be managed individually n stuff..if thats not possible then i mite buy a router..thx in advance..
A router does exactly the same thing...in that sense they're the same. Actually the term router is a little misleading. A switch strictly routes, in that it is only telling the packets where to go. A router tells the computers what their names are and gives them all the necessary information.

A hub can be used for what you need, it is simple and sends all the packets it receives to everything its connected to.
Yes it can be used, but that is incredibly inefficient and by the way it works ends up with an awful lot of packet collisions. A switch is an intelligent hub. And when you can get a switch for $10...why get a hub? (good luck finding a hub anyway)
Wanna get tlarkin on here, I'm sure he can word it better :D
There are plenty of people on here who know what they're talking about

edit:
no i dont have dsl.. i have a cable operator thing. i dont have a pci external lan card, but im sure i have an in-built one. on device manager its showing my network adapter as 'realtek rtl8168/8111 pci-e gigabit ethernet nic'.. so its that alrite or i have to get something else?
Yes you have a LAN card then, and a cable modem. in which case don't tell me you don't have a LAN card or i'll go off and get all confused on you. :p

Yes, a switch would work fine.

exist2inspire

thx bob for the help..so i have a lan card (well duhh!!) n a switch will work fine. just 1 last thing, i asked a ques u dint quite understand so ill try again.
when i use a switch, will my dads, sis's n my system be linked together thru lan? i dont want to network our systems together. so when using a switch, each computer can have individual access to the internet right? i hope there is no fancy 'server n client' n watever network stuff involved in it.

It doesn't matter whether you use a router, switch, or hub, they will be networked if you connect them to the switch. You cannot share internet without a network.

exist2inspire

so does 1 of the 3 systems have to be the master server thing? meanin the 'main' computer always has to be online in order for others to access the net?

exist2inspire

oh good. so each computer has independent access to the net, n u dont neccessarily have to share files on the network so i guess thats not a prob. ok i guess im gettin a switch then. thx everybody for the help esp bob u guys keep it up!!

ghost

Yes it can be used, but that is incredibly inefficient and by the way it works ends up with an awful lot of packet collisions. A switch is an intelligent hub. And when you can get a switch for $10...why get a hub? (good luck finding a hub anyway)
If you bothered to read the rest of my post you will see I said CLEAR AS DAYLIGHT either way get a switch....

There are plenty of people on here who know what they're talking about
lol what like you.... :rolleyes: