Ethernet to wifi extender?

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Servers' started by happyskunky, Jun 28, 2019.

1. happyskunky

happyskunky Member

Good evening, I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Currently I have a desktop PC . I use a tplink usb adapter to get wifi. I live upstairs and the router/WiFi is downstairs. The house has thick walls. There is a WiFi range extender I use but it's in one of the other bedrooms and its not mine. Do you think if I get my own range extender and plug it into a socket outside my bedroom door and use an Ethernet Cable do you think I will get faster internet speed?

2. Trizoy

Trizoy VIP Member

You could test your desktop in the potential location of the wifi extender, see if it helps.
    You could do this with moving your DESKTOP, or getting a long USB and put your current USB adaptor where your think the extender would go.
    This may be difficult given you have a desktop, but could save you money.

I would push for a better solution.. Can you run an ethernet cord from the downstairs router, to your upstairs computer location?
    If not, maybe to a more line of site location, that you could put an access point?

The wifi Range extenders are just so unreliable..

Good luck.

3. happyskunky

happyskunky Member

OMG after 5 years of slow wifi in my room and crying on the internet today I finally went to Best buy. I bought Netgear Nighthawk ac1900 WiFi USB adapter (I didn't even know there were pwerful ones like this ). I was using tplink TL-WN722N and my god I see a 5G network I never saw before and I'm getting 4 or 5x the speed I had. I downloaded an assasins Creed game and steam gave me over 5mbs and I usually didn't even get 1mbs . I am in heaven , even YouTube just starts videos now in highest res. I wish I would have taken action 5 years ago!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2019
  4. Cisco001

Cisco001 Well-Known Member

No harm to try ethernet cable if you have spare one lying around.

However, i would recommend powerline adaptor instead of wifi extender.