ethernet wire over empty phone line

viper110110

I am trying to get wired internet up to my upstairs room from the router below me. As I am renting the house, poking holes in the walls is not an option. I also could not find an easy pattern in the duct work to run the cable. The only idea I have left is to use the phone line in the house, which is not in use as we do not have a landline. The obvious problem is the different jacks with a different number of wires. I remeber a long time ago someone saying something about ethernet wires not using all 8 wires, so I started thinking I could just take the important wires and run them through the phone line, bringing them back to the eithernet jack up in my room. Is this possible and if so how do I do it? I know how to crimp ends on wires.

roker

Use the homeplug network adaptors that plugs into the mains sockets and transmits via the huse mains

Last edited:
Cat3 can support it, but your signal may be bad. It's not shielded, so you could pick up some interference. I wouldn't expect any more than 10Mb/sec though.