ever heard of slow boot from new hd?

killerchef04

my computer boots very slow, after the windows logo screen when it should load the desktop it goes to a black screen for about a minute, then goes to the desktop. i recently got a new hard drive. my old hard drive, seagate barracuda 7,500rpm 400gb sata, never did that. my new hard drive is a western digital velociraptor 10,000rpm 300gb, is it possible that its the hard drive?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it was a problem with the drive and from what i've read it seems to be a common problem with the caviar black drives.

sniperchang

my computer boots very slow, after the windows logo screen when it should load the desktop it goes to a black screen for about a minute, then goes to the desktop. i recently got a new hard drive. my old hard drive, seagate barracuda 7,500rpm 400gb sata, never did that. my new hard drive is a western digital velociraptor 10,000rpm 300gb, is it possible that its the hard drive?

Did you install a fresh copy of the OS or just cloned your previous drive?

sniperchang

I used the recovery discs then added all my documents from cds. The recovery discs were from the old hard drive, would that matter?

No, you did the right thing there...

If the fixes other members suggests don't work, then RMA that hard drive, cause those Velociraptors are supposed to be really fast drives.

killerchef04

No, you did the right thing there...

If the fixes other members suggests don't work, then RMA that hard drive, cause those Velociraptors are supposed to be really fast drives.

Yea, nothing has worked so far. The only problem is that it’s past the date for the return policy for best buy, so I contacted western digital directly. Hopefully they can replace it.:(