Every once in a while..

i picKed a winna

Every once in a while my dad's computer with Windows 98SE loses its color settings. For instance..it starts up in safe mode and it is set to 16 colors. So I go through and change it to 16 bit colors because at the time, that is the highest it will go. I restart it again and then the option for 32bit color is there and so I set it to 32bit and, voila! its fine again for another several months to a year. I'm stumped but I have to assume its something with the video card since its kinda old. I am just wondering whats going on and it doesnt necessarily have to be fixed because its easy to fix in the settings and plus he doesnt use the computer for important things. Thanks for any help.

samuelhii_mei

your comp is normal!!
there is no problem with your colour setting!
safe mode is just the most basic setting of an os! (including your colour settimg)
normal!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Well if your computer is starting up in safe mode... it is encountering errors when it is booting up.

As for the color issue, samuelhii_mei is correct, safe mode only loads the bare minimum of drivers and only the 16bit.

i picKed a winna

Well the weird part is that I never change anything inbetween boots or have knowledge that something isnt working correctly. I know that safe mode only loads up the essentials and stuff but i didnt think it would just happen randomly but it makes sense that it would. I always thought you had to chose it from the menu. well thanks guys for the replies..its not a major issue so im not going to worry about it.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
The only problem that I see would be if it boots into safe mode by itself once in awhile.. If I read your thread right it sounds as if once in awhile your dad's computer boots into safe mode and when this happens the color settings have changed to 16 bit.. Is this right? If so then what these two fella's have said stands true and the color is not a problem but rather the booting into safe mode is.

i picKed a winna

yeah, you're right booting into safe mode once in a while is the problem. i didnt realize it because i didnt know that 16 bit was the highest in safe mode so i assumed it was a color problem. i didnt put it together that safe mode is the problem. i appreciate everyone's help.