Excel question

Pretorius

Hi,

I keep a film database in Excel, and the way I have it formatted right now is that I have the original language title in size 10 black font and all alternate titles following it (in the same cell) in size 8 grey font, each alternate seperated by backslashes. This looks messy, and I'm wondering if there's some way to rig it so that only the original language title appears in the cell, and that when the cell is selected it expands downwards showing all the alternate titles listed underneath. Is that possible? I know very little about Excel.

Thanks.

Pretorius

I don't know. I actually don't want a drop-down box. You know when you highlight a cell that has text running beyond its borders, and the cell expands to show it? I want that to happen downwards to show the hidden list of alterate titles.

Pretorius

Actually, I have another question. If I want to rate the films out of ten, how can I stop Excel automatically turning "8/10" into "08-Oct"?

Marzeth

For the 8/10...
Go to the cell's format properties and on the number Tab select Text.
You can also go to Custom and create your own which is very simple and would be like this: 00"/"00

In regards to the "drop-down" cell, I think you want a "sub-data switch" (which I don't know how to technically call). I've done this with numerical values but never text. Now, if you can give all your same-movie texts a similar numerical value on a hidden cell, you could be able to pull this off.

Pretorius

For the 8/10...
Go to the cell's format properties and on the number Tab select Text.
You can also go to Custom and create your own which is very simple and would be like this: 00"/"00
Thank you.

[quoteIn regards to the "drop-down" cell, I think you want a "sub-data switch" (which I don't know how to technically call). I've done this with numerical values but never text. Now, if you can give all your same-movie texts a similar numerical value on a hidden cell, you could be able to pull this off.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by "numerical value" or "hidden cell". I really know nothing about how Excel works.