.exe files not working

tnt27

hey guys i just did the scan of spyware/virusesin safe mode on my frends comp, and AVG found 961 !!!! files infected, although it only deleted 21 cause i think all the viruses were in a same file... i restarted the comp in normal mode. but now any program (.exe) that my frend wants to open, it says "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" wtf? how can i change this? he desperetly needds his comp thanks.

i have tried all this unblocking, administrator privilage things thats found in google, but its only got one user, and programs like word that worked b4 dnt work now. its never been on a network or anything, but it didnt have an active anti-virus for 2 years :eek:

Cache

2 years is a long time for a computer to run without a fresh install of its OS, with or without AV software IMHO. I personally would seriously consider formating the computer and doing a fresh install of the OS, then setup the security it should have had two years ago. I would also run virus scans on any media you backed up, to make sure you dont re-infect the computer.

tnt27

thanks for the reply Cache, i no i think the same way as u, although my frend isnt very computer mimded. he sed to his parents that they should get a pro too look at it, but i could format in much quicker time. but we are more computer literate soo yeah.... i was looking everywhere for this, but with no luck :( i will try to convince him to format, using the HP recovery disk, where it goes back to the state, as if it was fresh out of the factory. then install AVG, antispyware and yeah. the prob ishe's on dial-up so updating programs is a bitch, although i have service pack 2 on cd so i can install it on his comp