Execute a single .Exe with Admin Rights

I don't know if you someone can help me out on this. I have an application stored on a Server and it is being accessed from the a Client PC. Now, I have assigned Admin rights to the executable (.exe) on the Server but for some reason the Client PC is always asking for the Server Credentials before opening.

How can this be done? The 'Run as Administrator' on the Client PC is disabled as the .exe is found on the Server. Client is running Windows 7 Pro and Server is running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Instead Samba used on Linux? No, it's just a folder on the Server and I would like to access it from the Client PC with Admin rights. But, I don't wish to give this Client PC Admin rights but just to run this particular .exe. Do you have an idea?

beers

Staff member
Samba as synonymous with a SMB/CIFS share.

It sounds like you need to differentiate between local PC permissions and the remote share permissions. Being prompted for a login for a remote share has nothing to do with running an application as an administrator on the local PC.

Realistically you'd either have to match Windows account credentials on the PC as well as the server or have them synchronized via AD. You might be able to mount the share as a drive utilizing an alternative set of credentials to not be prompted every time.

Otherwise you're just looking at share permissions and 'run as administrator' only applies to the access level the application has on your local PC once it is retrieved and ran. A read only access on the share for your user should allow you to install/run the application.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You might be able to mount the share as a drive utilizing an alternative set of credentials to not be prompted every time.
Yeah, I think this will work. Something like:
net use mappeddriveletter: \\ComputerName\ShareName /user:[UserName@DottedDomainName /savecred /persistent:yes Password

Then only put this exe in this shared location. But I only think this works. It might not work the way you intend and you may still need to login as admin to run the exe.

An alternative might be to create a powershell script that runs the exe as admin.