expand drive C:?

issatd

Hi,
I have Windows Vista H.B. installed on Drive C: partion 2(40gb). i have partion 1 unallocated(40gb). can i not expand my drive c: since i installed it on a seperate and/or 2nd partion? can i switch my partion2 w/ c: to partion1 and then try?

I cant take from partion 1 unallocated...:cool:

-Tony

Bodaggit23

How much total space do you have on the drive?

Download and burn the GParted Live image to a disc and boot from it.

It will allow you to resize any partition. BE CAREFUL not to format your C: partition. :eek:

skiverus

I use the EAUSUS Partion Wizard Home edition (it's free) and it can do everything possible. Try it!

hackcat

You can download the program called AcronisDiskDirector10.It doesn't need you to format your driver C:.

issatd

...Okay thanx, no way to do this in windows "cmd" or elsewhere in the OS ?

-you know i just changed a bunch of my "services" startup types through administartive tools & i feel the computer now has too many on and i dont want it overworked nor do i want to study what they all mean & so to make the right decision about their startup time. i didnt install windows too long ago so im tempted to just reinstall again but on the 1st partian this time..And have the "services" Defaults return

..or is there another way to get the defaults back for windows services in Vista H.B...?

-I am way to curious lately you have no idea....

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
You don't need any software for this, Vista has built-in functionality for resizing partitions. Go to control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Right-click your C: drive and hit "Extend Volume" in the menu that pops up, or if you want to just create a new partition, right-click the unallocated area, click "New Simple Volume" and it'll walk you through it.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You don't need any software for this, Vista has built-in functionality for resizing partitions. Go to control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Right-click your C: drive and hit "Extend Volume" in the menu that pops up, or if you want to just create a new partition, right-click the unallocated area, click "New Simple Volume" and it'll walk you through it.

This is the best and the most simple way and I totally agree with you.

I just don't understand you people xD...why do you use programs for resizing the partitions if you can alredy do that from the Windows OS???
I don't get it lol...

issatd

Hi,
I have Windows Vista H.B. installed on Drive C: partion 2(40gb). i have partion 1 unallocated(40gb). can i not expand my drive c: since i installed it on a seperate and/or 2nd partion? can i switch my partion2 w/ c: to partion1 and then try?

I cant take from partion 1 unallocated...:cool:

-Tony

-Well, I reinstalled Vista & not on the 2nd partion this time. "Computer Management" would not allow an expand of my C: which was Partion 2. Why? I don't know...

-A reinstall also got my "service configuration" to default. Was/Is there a way in Windows to Default your Service configuration? I don't know...:D

-Tony

canivari

-Well, I reinstalled Vista & not on the 2nd partion this time. "Computer Management" would not allow an expand of my C: which was Partion 2. Why? I don't know...

-A reinstall also got my "service configuration" to default. Was/Is there a way in Windows to Default your Service configuration? I don't know...:D

-Tony

How many hard-disks do you got?
not talking about partitions..
or probably you didnt deleted the partition that you dont want first..
Only after you delete that partition he will gonna give the option to extend the C: with the unalocatted space..

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Anyway you can do that very easily by using the external USB HDD and Ubuntu 9.04.If you don't know how,tell me and I will help you.

why do you use programs for resizing the partitions if you can alredy do that from the Windows OS???
I don't get it lol...

Why don't you make up your mind and stick with it?

"Computer Management" would not allow an expand of my C:

THIS is why people use programs for disk management...:rolleyes:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LoL people you really like to complicate things don't you?Sometimes you can use only Windows OS tools to resize the partition even if its the SYSTEM ACTIVE PARTITION.Of course this isn't always possible,but what you can do is to expand ANY partitions as much as you want using the simple Windows CD or DVD disk or USB stick and Linux Ubuntu 9.04 CD disk or USB stick.Let's say that your drive C: is big 50 GB and you want to make it bigger for 100 GB.You can do that so easily by using your Windows OS CD or DVD disk or USB stick and Linux Ubuntu 9.04 CD disk or USB stick.With these 2 things --->WINDOWS OS DISK and LINUX UBUNTU OS DISK<--- you can make ANY partitions on your entire HDD smaller as much as you want(as long the data still fits on that partition) or bigger as much as you want...
Using so many different programs for doing this is NOT recommended because sometimes they will just screw your WINDOWS OS and then you can say goodbye to all your data...
The reason why I am saying all this is because you can make ANY of your partitions smaller or bigger as much as you want WITHOUT using any special programs for that.Just think a little bit and you will see that you can do ALL THIS using ONLY your WINDOWS OS DISK AND LINUX UBUNTU 9.04 DISK.If you don't know how to do this,tell me and I will be glad to share that with everyone.:good:But please people there is really no point in using so many different programs to do something so simple such as EXPANDING THE C: DRIVE...LOL...

Why don't you make up your mind and stick with it?

LoL because there are few ways to do this so simple and everytime I post,I write the new simple way.The one I just wrote in red is definetely the most simple and the most secure.

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

LoL because there are few ways to do this so simple and everytime I post,I write the new simple way.The one I just wrote in red is definetely the most simple and the most secure.

Back step all you want. :rolleyes:

The only guarantee using Windows disk management, is that you're guaranteed that most of the time it won't work.

tyttebøvs

You cannot use disk management to extend any partition with this layout:

| empty space x x x | partition |

Only if the empty space were behind the partition

Edit: and please note that C: doesn't need to be the first partition on the disk. Which it is not in this case.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
You cannot use disk management to extend any partition with this layout:

| empty space x x x | partition |

Only if the empty space were behind the partition

Edit: and please note that C: doesn't need to be the first partition on the disk. Which it is not in this case.
Oh, crap, I misunderstood the OP...

issatd

i should have booted from the O.S. CD and deleted the partion 1 maybe that would have changed my partion 2 w/ the c: on it to partion 1? but now that i think of it , probably not...i have 1 hdd 80 gb, before installing vista on a clean drive i partioned 2 equal partions 40gb each then installed vista on partion2. then, in windows, after installation, i could not extend that 2nd partion which held windows & is called c:/... even after deleting my 1st partion into unallocated space... it treated my partions as seperates and didnt change partion2 with c:/ to on 1. nor did it allow partion2 w/ c: to take from unallocated partion1. ..:eek:

-Tony