expand volume grayed out

novicegeek

And so the saga continues. I was going to reinstall windows, but this guy (the one whose computer I'm working on) has a partition (let's call it the E drive). I unallocated the volume, but when I went to expand the C drive (which, by the way, is getting rather full, and is painted a red color) the "expand volume" option is grayed out.

So now what do I do? I've tried to google this thing, but really couldn't come up with a workable solution, so I'm relying on you guys to help me out.

Thanks you.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Windows likely doesn't let you expand the system volume while it is in use. Either use a PE disk like hiren's or another bootable tool specifically for partition management.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can do this by using minitool partition wizard.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/download/10.3/pw103-free.exe

As long as the unallocated volume is right next to the partition that you want to expand it can be done. You can't allocate space from a partition that isn't next to it. So if there is only 2 partitions on the drive then you should be fine. But if you have 3 or more then you'll have to move data around to free up space next to the partition you want to expand. Minitool will actually reboot the system and do the process while the partition is not active.

novicegeek

Thank ya kindly, gentlemen. I still don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I'll give it a shot. After all, it's never stopped me before.