Explorer and Firefox dont work after "update"

Lindgren26

Step 1,Neighbor needed to update windows explorer. I tried installing firefox. Firefox wouldn't connect to the internet, but the old explorer would.

Step 2, I thought I would go to the microsoft site and dload the newest windows explorer. Now explorer and firefox cant connect to the internet.

Step3, I thought it was a firewall issue. So I turned off the windows firewall. still nothing works

Step 4, added explorer and firefox to the "excetions list" and still nothing.

Step 5, I went through all the settings looking for some button that seemed relevent to my issue- NOTHING....

Any Ideas? This seems like a firewall issue or maybe a setting to new software... He is running XP...

thanks in advance

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First thing is you need to separate Windows Explorer(which is used to browse your computer) from Internet Explorer(which is used to browse the internet), which are 2 totally different things.

This is either a proxy setting issue or the machine is infected or its internet provider issue. How is this machine connected to the internet?

Lindgren26

First thing is you need to separate Windows Explorer(which is used to browse your computer) from Internet Explorer(which is used to browse the internet), which are 2 totally different things.

This is either a proxy setting issue or the machine is infected or its internet provider issue. How is this machine connected to the internet?

Ha, you are correct sir; Internet explorer...
The machine is plugged directly into a qwest modem. Not wireless.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Open a command prompt and type this

ipconfig /all

then press enter.

making sure there is a space between the G and the /

Then list what it has for ip address, default gateway and dns servers.

Lindgren26

Open a command prompt and type this

ipconfig /all

then press enter.

making sure there is a space between the G and the /

Then list what it has for ip address, default gateway and dns servers.

I typed ipconfig /all and the black box that should contain the IP, DNS, and gateway numbers pops up, but only for a split second... Am I doing something wrong? He has active internet there, it is connected... hmm

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If running xp then click on start, click on run, type cmd hit ok. Then type the ipconfig /all. If Vista or 7 then click start and in the search bar type cmd hit enter.