explorer..exe has generated errors

harrisonb

Hi

The above message appears when i start up my PC, it appeared after installing service pack 2 for IE 6.

It is a windows 2000 machine

After this, i can do nothing with it. Nothing appears.

If i press ctrl alt delete and go to task manager and try to run explorer.exe again it comes up with the same message.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

harrisonb

Thanks guys, but i dont have norton cleansweep installed.

Any other ideas?

Can i uninstall internet explorer as thats whats caused the problem?

as thats what caused the problems? Will i still be able to browse folders without IE?

Thanks

Ben

4W4K3

VIP Member
harrisonb said:
Thanks guys, but i dont have norton cleansweep installed.

Any other ideas?

Can i uninstall internet explorer as thats whats caused the problem?

as thats what caused the problems? Will i still be able to browse folders without IE?

Thanks

Ben

i think ur confused. "iexplorer.exe" is for IE. But "explorer.exe" is the actual desktop process. Which one is giving you probs?

harrisonb

i think ur confused. "iexplorer.exe" is for IE. But "explorer.exe" is the actual desktop process. Which one is giving you probs?

Explorer.exe is the one thats crashing and displaying the message.

It was when i was installing internet explorer 6 service pack 2 that the problem began. Thats why i was wondering if uninstalling internet explorer might get her going again.

Thanks

Ben

harrisonb

Thanks very much guys for all your help, i just got her going.

I got into task manager and re ran the installation that had screwed it up, and it worked this time

No problems so far!

I always forget though how slow windows is compared to linux on this same machine!

Oh well, i still need windows for some stuff, so i huess ill stop complaining!

Ben