[Expreview] GeForce GTX460 Gets Spec’ed, Due on June 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aastii

VIP Member
i
GTX 480 is the best single gpu on the market by a whole load once tesselation is enabled which is the most important part of DX11. I can document this because i have the card, you dont.

I didn't claim I have it, and please refer to post 19 of this thread

Boasting 5850 is very irrelevant when i'm talking about GTX 480 who needs to cool down MANY more components and 3-BILLION transistors. also, i overclocked my core by 104 mhz on air (see my spects) that's an insane overclock most previous GTX-2xx cards wont easily do on air. I tried 845 mhz to and it worked fine but i didn't like the heat at that point.

The 5850 can play all games on max and look the same as the 480 does, so regardless of what numbers it puts out in benchmarks, it may aswell be the same card for real world use at the moment. With that said, what are temps at stock then on your 480?

I've never been allowed to do so even when i have posted actual facts such as i've done so far. My only goal with these threads is to correct the mistake most reviewers have done. The card does run hot, but by far anything to care about when the thermal is 105 and max temp with furmark (which will never be reached in real gaming) stays at 70c. My actual gaming temp was 60-62c after 8 hours of metro 2033 on very high that does love to use as much of my card as possible.

Facts? Please. I understand that the nvidia cards are powerful, I'm not taking that away from them, but ATi have won this particular war convincingly. They didn't with the 4000 series, they didn't with the 3000, but with this they have so comfortably. However, you are swearing black is blue the opposite, despite the facts that the majority of other here (the majority of more experienced others) contradict what you are say it and back it up.

3Dmark is a benchmark tool, it is meant to push the card to its limits. If I overclocked my processor and ran IBT and it was hitting 90 degrees, I know it wouldn't do that in the real world,. but that is too high for it anyway even out of it. My GPU now is sat mid 50s. Yea, so it is a 3870, not the latest and greatest, but if I overclocked it and it got to 80s when benching, I would knock it down. Benchmarks are there to test everything about how a component runs, not just the computing power.

Because no one has so far? I've spendt my whole day posting temps both loaded and idle, benches (not many) and no one cares.. My benches shows (in most cases) 12 fps higher than the reviews :/. This irritates me, and i partly knew that it would be higher if i tried it myself. I said all this before about the temps, and i was right.. no one cares.. They called me dumb, idiot, but look now.. who was right?.. If you knew me irl, you would change your opinions towards me.

and don't we know you have spent the whole day posting it, so many threads now have atleast one page considerably longer than any other in the thread because it is full of the exact same screenshots.

You can't say I got higher than reviews, because reviews work with different setups to you. The processor, the memory, the hard drive speed, the motherboard, they all factor into what you will get out of the component, that is why benchmarks are so pointless, and why I am not th only one that thinks so much. They are fun for personal challenge (I love doing super pi and pushing my cpu, is so addicting, but so what if I shave a few tenths of a second off, it isn't noticable) but so worthless.

I think we are still right. There are alot of people with 5000 series cards that are happier with it, even after seeing this, and there are still many that would prefer an ati card over nvidia despite seeing these.

There are a few DX11 games out there. Huge amounts of DX11 games are expected to come this summer. When both of the huge GPU producers have DX11 cards it is easy to understand that the devs will intergrate DX11 in upcoming games or at least patch it. (dungeons and dragons online is one example of a game that will patch DX11)

see post 19

I do all this to prove a single point, and i give a shit about ATi cards because i'm not surpised by their extra feutures, I didn't try to compare 480 to ATi a single time today simply because doing so was NOT my primary point..this time i ACTUALLY have the card myself. I could buy a 5970, i could by a 5870.. 480 has everything i want, i'll sli it later for the best performance i will ever need for years until 5xx.

Correcting the 480's temp to what the reviewers stated was my only point, and the difference was huge. When i came home and stressed the card, i was extremely surprised and even got ideas about some sort of conspiracy from certain people..

Lets say my room temp is increased to 30, then the furmark temp will be 74 and gaming temp 67. Still it's 20-30 temp lower than the reviews ON 75% fan speed when they tested it on AUTO that in the end increases to 100%.

the testers setups are different to yours, AUTO doesn't go up to 100% fan speed, if it does it is when the card is at very very high temps (mid 80s or 90sI think they were), why that wasn't sorted in the bios, and why there isn't a utility to sort it, I don't know. You don't have to manually alter it so it doesn't get to silly temps on ATi cards ebcause on auto, at slower fan speeds, it keeps the cards cool enough, even when they are putting out the exact same picutre as the nvidia cards, but are using less power and have left you with more money from the initial purchase

Also, please don't quote me from a seperate thread in another thread again, especially one that has been locked

Ryeong

I didn't claim I have it, and please refer to post 19 of this thread

The 5850 can play all games on max and look the same as the 480 does, so regardless of what numbers it puts out in benchmarks, it may aswell be the same card for real world use at the moment. With that said, what are temps at stock then on your 480?

Facts? Please. I understand that the nvidia cards are powerful, I'm not taking that away from them, but ATi have won this particular war convincingly. They didn't with the 4000 series, they didn't with the 3000, but with this they have so comfortably. However, you are swearing black is blue the opposite, despite the facts that the majority of other here (the majority of more experienced others) contradict what you are say it and back it up.

3Dmark is a benchmark tool, it is meant to push the card to its limits. If I overclocked my processor and ran IBT and it was hitting 90 degrees, I know it wouldn't do that in the real world,. but that is too high for it anyway even out of it. My GPU now is sat mid 50s. Yea, so it is a 3870, not the latest and greatest, but if I overclocked it and it got to 80s when benching, I would knock it down. Benchmarks are there to test everything about how a component runs, not just the computing power.

and don't we know you have spent the whole day posting it, so many threads now have atleast one page considerably longer than any other in the thread because it is full of the exact same screenshots.

You can't say I got higher than reviews, because reviews work with different setups to you. The processor, the memory, the hard drive speed, the motherboard, they all factor into what you will get out of the component, that is why benchmarks are so pointless, and why I am not th only one that thinks so much. They are fun for personal challenge (I love doing super pi and pushing my cpu, is so addicting, but so what if I shave a few tenths of a second off, it isn't noticable) but so worthless.

I think we are still right. There are alot of people with 5000 series cards that are happier with it, even after seeing this, and there are still many that would prefer an ati card over nvidia despite seeing these.

see post 19

the testers setups are different to yours, AUTO doesn't go up to 100% fan speed, if it does it is when the card is at very very high temps (mid 80s or 90sI think they were), why that wasn't sorted in the bios, and why there isn't a utility to sort it, I don't know. You don't have to manually alter it so it doesn't get to silly temps on ATi cards ebcause on auto, at slower fan speeds, it keeps the cards cool enough, even when they are putting out the exact same picutre as the nvidia cards, but are using less power and have left you with more money from the initial purchase

Also, please don't quote me from a seperate thread in another thread again, especially one that has been locked

The 5850 can play all games on max and look the same as the 480 does, so regardless of what numbers it puts out in benchmarks, it may aswell be the same card for real world use at the moment.

The image Quality can be different, but i dont know.. I used to have many ATi cards until HD 4870 that disappointed me a lot. So i changed to Nvidia, and ATi did impress me once they released their 5xxx. Yet, i heard about Fermi and was more like Nay to 5xxx, rather than maybe. From that point i decided not to use any more ATi cards unless they make something that is surperior to Nvidia by a lot in terms of pure performance (i dont care about power consumption nor temps as long as they are can be overclocked and still stay beneath the thermal temp).. they haven't. (I prefer single-gpu's) 5970 doesn't qualify for my interests, but a good dual gpu indeed.

With that said, what are temps at stock then on your 480?

I have no clue, i overclocked my card once i recieved it. But i won't bother to test because no one cares and i'm tired.. My fps is much better than my 275's in sli, and there are no stuttering. I'm an fps freak, if i see stuttering every now and then i'll be disappointed.

Facts? Please. I understand that the nvidia cards are powerful, I'm not taking that away from them, but ATi have won this particular war convincingly.

There was Never a war to begin with cus' they aimed for a different group of people and not the majority. They knew they wouldn't win the majority because of the price. If the price was lower than 5870 they would win the majority, despite the "supposedly" high temp (which is not really high from my test, and good enough to be overclocked to 845 on air without reaching the thermal temps in furmark). 460 might make up for that though..

3Dmark is a benchmark tool, it is meant to push the card to its limits.

3Dmark yes.. but 3Dmark 06 is old.. the new ones does a better job in terms of justified scores. Why does everyone want 06' and not the new one?

You can't say I got higher than reviews, because reviews work with different setups to you. The processor, the memory, the hard drive speed, the motherboard, they all factor into what you will get out of the component, that is why benchmarks are so pointless, and why I am not th only one that thinks so much.

Yes, i agree. But, what temps do you expect to see when you stress a gpu outside the case? It's a stupid way of testing.. Everyone use a case with their GPU's. That they tested it outside the case can be the reason for it's temps. Compare their temps to mine and that alone is agitating enough, and does not justify anything for neither Nvidia or anyone. I feel that i've been lied to by everyone. That they told me something very inaccurate in terms of the MAX temp and especially the idle.. my 33c idle vs the reviewed 55c is reason enough.. my 70c max in furmark and 95c by reviewers is also enough to understand how weird this is.

You don't have to manually alter it so it doesn't get to silly temps on ATi cards ebcause on auto, at slower fan speeds, it keeps the cards cool enough, even when they are putting out the exact same picutre as the nvidia cards, but are using less power and have left you with more money from the initial purchase

MY 275's in sli oc'ed hit like 68+c in gaming on auto fan speed. Once i changed it to 60% it went down to 55-58. Unfortinately, 75% with GTX 480 is less noisy than 60% with my 275's in sli which was a positive surprise for me.

joh06937

The 5850 can play all games on max and look the same as the 480 does, so regardless of what numbers it puts out in benchmarks, it may aswell be the same card for real world use at the moment.

unless they make something that is surperior to Nvidia by a lot in terms of pure performance (i dont care about power consumption nor temps as long as they are can be overclocked and still stay beneath the thermal temp).. they haven't. (I prefer single-gpu's) 5970 doesn't qualify for my interests, but a good dual gpu indeed.

don't like dual gpus? you have two cards in sli... that is just a really lame way to make yourself feel better by saying ati doesn't hold a candle to nvidia.

also, sorry if i fueled the debate :rolleyes:

Ryeong

don't like dual gpus? you have two cards in sli... that is just a really lame way to make yourself feel better by saying ati doesn't hold a candle to nvidia.

also, sorry if i fueled the debate :rolleyes:

In single-GPU performance they don't.

Not like that.. Let me explain:

Two gtx 275's was cheaper than 295 and Performed in most cases better (according to reviews). So, first i could buy one and enjoy it for a while, then a second one later and keep the two until the next gen. I saved a lot of money and could game with one meanwhile.

My strategy is like this: Buy one GPU and Another Later and keep two of em' until Next Gen. (Whether it is Nvidia or ATi)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I'm sure that by this point, all of us are getting sick of this kind of debate. The original poster's question/point keeps getting lost. Arguments like this are not welcome here. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.