[Expreview] GeForce GTX460 Gets Spec’ed, Due on June 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

just a noob

According to the source, GTX460 will boast 384 stream processors, 48 texture units, 32ROPs, 1GB of GDDR5 memory as well as 256-bit memory interface. The power consumption has yet to be confirmed, but the card will continue to use dual-slot heatsink design. The report also indicates the pricing would be $250-$300.

Source

Fatback

VIP Member
Sounds good hopefully it wont be a failure like it's big brothers and people can actually justify spending the money on it over an ATI card.

Ryeong

Sounds good hopefully it wont be a failure like it's big brothers and people can actually justify spending the money on it over an ATI card.

480 was not a failure. Period. Just ask someone who has the card, such as myself.

just a noob

Sounds good if the price stays at 250-300. I just wonder whether there will be a GTX 495 or a new refresh with the whole card later, like they did with GTX 275 after gtx 260.

I'm pretty doubtful right now, I think 2 gt300 cores on a single pcb would melt your face off :p not entirely sure if a die shrink will fix the heat or not.

Ryeong

I'm pretty doubtful right now, I think 2 gt300 cores on a single pcb would melt your face off :p not entirely sure if a die shrink will fix the heat or not.

I will honestly agree on that. One gtx 480 is acceptable in terms of heat (with my testing 72c after 8 hours of hardcore gaming, and 80-85c max after a whole night 15 hours+ with 100% stress overclocked with the specs in my sign) two on one card will be too way too hot. I think a total refresh is needed.

Fatback

VIP Member
480 was not a failure. Period. Just ask someone who has the card, such as myself.

If you say so it, it took way to long for them to bring out a card that barely beats one that was out 6months earlier. Also your not the only one that has used a 480. I work at a computer shop and we have a new machine running a 480 right now. It's nothing special and there is almost to noticeable difference in gaming between our 5870 machine and the 480 machine.

I'm not going to get into this though because I haven't had lunch and if this starts then I might say something nasty to you and you might get upset. Then the mods are going to get involved and I'm going to feel bad for hurting your feelings etc, etc. So it's best for me to leave it there I should of known I couldn't reply to a Nvidia thread with out you popping up.

You mean like this?

[YT]a-W7NAgKqMY[/YT]

Ryeong

If you say so it, it took way to long for them to bring out a card that barely beats one that was out 6months earlier. Also your not the only one that has used a 480. I work at a computer shop and we have a new machine running a 480 right now. It's nothing special and there is almost to noticeable difference in gaming between our 5870 machine and the 480 machine.

I'm not going to get into this though because I haven't had lunch and if this starts then I might say something nasty to you and you might get upset. Then the mods are going to get involved and I'm going to feel bad for hurting your feelings etc, etc. So it's best for me to leave it there I should of known I couldn't reply to a Nvidia thread with out you popping up.

You mean like this?

[YT]a-W7NAgKqMY[/YT]

Nah. You do know that a water-cooler is all you need for a max overclock right? Shouldn't it be possible to install a water cooler within the GTX 495 on the stock card? or something... Something new and really nice. Just imagine how cool that would be, to have a stock-card with a stock-water cooler on the inside.

Fatback

VIP Member
Nah. You do know that a water-cooler is all you need for a max overclock right? Shouldn't it be possible to install a water cooler within the GTX 495 on the stock card? or something... Something new and really nice. Just imagine how cool that would be, to have a stock-card with a stock-water cooler on the inside.

lol are you asking me if I know what water cooling is? Maybe but people shouldn't need water cooling to keep there components cool.

Ryeong

lol are you asking me if I know what water cooling is? Maybe but people shouldn't need water cooling to keep there components cool.

yea.. Well, this is 2010 maybe air is getting old xD. If there was a card with intergrated water-cooling that didn't cost much more and kept, whether it was 480 or 5970 so cool that it is the card itself that limits the oc'ing i wouldn't say no xD.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will be intresting to see the UK price tag on these.

atm my next build log is

AMD Phenom 2 x6
GTX 460 or 470 (must be 2gb)

:p

Fatback

VIP Member
yea.. Well, this is 2010 maybe air is getting old xD. If there was a card with intergrated water-cooling that didn't cost much more and kept, whether it was 480 or 5970 so cool that it is the card itself that limits the oc'ing i wouldn't say no xD.

Air will never get old:rolleyes: water cooling is a waste of money IMO. I could never see my self spending hundreds of dollars for something that will get me a better OC. I would rater just buy a better CPU/GPU instead. Are you talking about a water cooler built into the GPU it self. That would be cool but seems unlikely with out the card being huge.

Ryeong

Air will never get old:rolleyes: water cooling is a waste of money IMO. I could never see my self spending hundreds of dollars for something that will get me a better OC. I would rater just buy a better CPU/GPU instead. Are you talking about a water cooler built into the GPU it self. That would be cool but seems unlikely with out the card being huge.

Yea, i was thinking about that :) .. Well, i have a H50 cooler and it gives me a huge overclock on low temps. Didn't cost much either and i can use it on dual-quad-i3-i5 and i7 cpu's :D Is there really any FPS benefits in gaming by going from an Q9650 to i7-920?

Fatback

VIP Member
Yea, i was thinking about that :) .. Well, i have a H50 cooler and it gives me a huge overclock on low temps. Didn't cost much either and i can use it on dual-quad-i3-i5 and i7 cpu's :D Is there really any FPS benefits in gaming by going from an Q9650 to i7-920?

I payed $20 for my air cooler and it keeps my CPU idle at 33C on my OC with a V-core of 1.52 so I can't complain:D In gaming...not really, not enough gain that would make buying a new Mobo+Ram+CPU worth the extra FPS IMO.

Aastii

VIP Member

ohoh I don't think you should of said that because now some one wi...

oh no too late :(

No offence, but I wouldn't ask you to give a BALANCED view of the nvidia cards. Ever. I agree with fatback in saying they are a failure, and I wouldn't ask you to clarify what I say, because I already know what will be said and I have a sneaking suspicion it will make out that the creators of the cards have a massive shining star shoved firmly up their behind, abd contain the words "passionate gamer" and "tesalation", 2 complete bs terms

I don't even know why I bother posting these threads

haha not sure how it went from GPU to CPU so quick. I'm going to try and stay on topic from here out.

I have my suspicions :rolleyes:

If the card draws less power, is cooler and quieter than the 2 crap cards out now, and still makes games look the exact same even though it has a few less fps, it would be nvidia gaining a win in the graphics card battle. A small win, but a win nontheless.

However, it would be pitted against the 5770 probably? If so, it will have a bit of a problem overcoming the great price:performance that the ATi counterparts have

Last edited:

Ryeong

ohoh I don't think you should of said that because now some one wi...

oh no too late :(

No offence, but I wouldn't ask you to give a BALANCED view of the nvidia cards. Ever. I agree with fatback in saying they are a failure, and I wouldn't ask you to clarify what I say, because I already know what will be said and I have a sneaking suspicion it will make out that the creators of the cards have a massive shining star shoved firmly up their behind, abd contain the words "passionate gamer" and "tesalation", 2 complete bs terms

I have my suspicions :rolleyes:

If the card draws less power, is cooler and quieter than the 2 crap cards out now, and still makes games look the exact same even though it has a few less fps, it would be nvidia gaining a win in the graphics card battle. A small win, but a win nontheless.

However, it would be pitted against the 5770 probably? If so, it will have a bit of a problem overcoming the great price:performance that the ATi counterparts have
i
GTX 480 is the best single gpu on the market by a whole load once tesselation is enabled which is the most important part of DX11. I can document this because i have the card, you dont.

just a noob

I'm just going to leave this quote here again
You are confusing two things. DX11 is not the same as Tessellation. Tessellation is a part of DX11, it is a subset of it, it's a part of it, but it is not the same as it. Whilst it's an important part of DX11, it's doesn't define DX11 and few DX11 games will use tessellation on every part of their level as Unigine does. No game will use tessellation to the same extent as Heaven, because Heaven is just trying to kill your FPS as much as possible. It puts so many extra polygons on that you could cut the poly-count by about 50% and not notice a difference. In fact, it's very hard to tell the difference between Normal and Extreme tessellation. Benchmarks are designed to stress systems as much as possible to artificially generate a performance gradient between systems, games are designed to look good whilst still performing well on every system. That's why there are no big games that use the Unigine Engine in development at the moment.

Heaven is not indicative of DX11 game performance, this is clear in actual games where your single 470 will not come anywhere near the performance of two 5870s, or even a single 5870 (a single 5870 beats the 470 by roughly twelve percent across games).

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Also, try not to get this thread closed, please

Ryeong

Before begin, can I just say, I TOO CAN write in CAPITAL letters every few WORDS

I didn't say that temperatures affected your system temps, however now you have mentioned it, you said that you are going off speedfan, which is unreliable at the best of times. As has been advised to you before, use HWmonitor, it is more accurate.

Your temp being 70c in futuremark, that is still 17% higher than the ATi 5850, which was on stock fan settings, so probably wasn't going above 50%. I don't know how the ATi fan system works on the Asus 5850, didn't look it up or fiddle with it, the temps were low enough to not need it ;), and you can't say that you have alot of room because you are 30 degrees outside of the limit of the chip. If you are riding on 95 degrees that would be way too high, heck, 80 would be, so no, you don't have very much room at all, unless you overclock it, bench it, drop it back down, in which case, why?

Can I also point out more reviewers had the card being fairly quiet. I bet with yours being at 75% fan speed, it is anything but. You have to remember you are 20 degrees lower, but also much louder than theirs were

As you like stating rules and as I was caught up for using foul language, I would like to point out it is not allowed in this forum and you should probably read the rules

And finally, at no point did I say I reflected the view of the forum. I thought all of my posts were from my own thinking, not from being a sheep and thinking what everyone else does. I'm able to construct a thought out post with evidence where necessary without putting exactly what everyone else thinks, so what is the point in saying "the whole forum doesn't care about benchmarks"

You know what, you would be surprised, I bet a fair few number of people care a hell of alot more about real world results than benchmarks, and how the ATi cards shape up against the nvidia cards and if the price difference, extra noise and extra temps are justified, seeing as how physx is currently not widely used, and tessalation is a selling point that isn't used in any game and in a handful of benchmarks, so nothing but a way of making more money rather than being useful in any way.

"that is still 17% higher than the ATi 5850, which was on stock fan settings"

Boasting 5850 is very irrelevant when i'm talking about GTX 480 who needs to cool down MANY more components and 3-BILLION transistors. also, i overclocked my core by 104 mhz on air (see my spects) that's an insane overclock most previous GTX-2xx cards wont easily do on air. I tried 845 mhz to and it worked fine but i didn't like the heat at that point.

And finally, at no point did I say I reflected the view of the forum. I thought all of my posts were from my own thinking, not from being a sheep and thinking what everyone else does

I've never been allowed to do so even when i have posted actual facts such as i've done so far. My only goal with these threads is to correct the mistake most reviewers have done. The card does run hot, but by far anything to care about when the thermal is 105 and max temp with furmark (which will never be reached in real gaming) stays at 70c. My actual gaming temp was 60-62c after 8 hours of metro 2033 on very high that does love to use as much of my card as possible.

I'm able to construct a thought out post with evidence where necessary without putting exactly what everyone else thinks, so what is the point in saying "the whole forum doesn't care about benchmarks"

Because no one has so far? I've spendt my whole day posting temps both loaded and idle, benches (not many) and no one cares.. My benches shows (in most cases) 12 fps higher than the reviews :/. This irritates me, and i partly knew that it would be higher if i tried it myself. I said all this before about the temps, and i was right.. no one cares.. They called me dumb, idiot, but look now.. who was right?.. If you knew me irl, you would change your opinions towards me.

If you are riding on 95 degrees that would be way too high, heck, 80 would be, so no, you don't have very much room at all, unless you overclock it, bench it, drop it back down, in which case, why?

The 70c temp was already with my insane overclock from 700 to 810 mhz core, Shader 1621MHz, Memory 4000MHz (i'm partly changing the core clocks now and then, i'm still tryting to go higher, 845 mhz seems to work fine but i havent tested the temps) My actual gaming temp was 60-62c after 8 hours of metro 2033 on very high that does love to use as much of my card as possible.

tessalation is a selling point that isn't used in any game and in a handful of benchmarks

There are a few DX11 games out there. Huge amounts of DX11 games are expected to come this summer. When both of the huge GPU producers have DX11 cards it is easy to understand that the devs will intergrate DX11 in upcoming games or at least patch it. (dungeons and dragons online is one example of a game that will patch DX11)

I do all this to prove a single point, and i give a shit about ATi cards because i'm not surpised by their extra feutures, I didn't try to compare 480 to ATi a single time today simply because doing so was NOT my primary point..this time i ACTUALLY have the card myself. I could buy a 5970, i could by a 5870.. 480 has everything i want, i'll sli it later for the best performance i will ever need for years until 5xx.

Correcting the 480's temp to what the reviewers stated was my only point, and the difference was huge. When i came home and stressed the card, i was extremely surprised and even got ideas about some sort of conspiracy from certain people..

Lets say my room temp is increased to 30, then the furmark temp will be 74 and gaming temp 67. Still it's 20-30 temp lower than the reviews ON 75% fan speed when they tested it on AUTO that in the end increases to 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.