Extended Warranty

peter912

Dell wants to know if I would like to extend my warranty by 4 years because it is expiring next month . They failed to mention what the cost is, which they should have done so. Is it worth it ? Also I am not very happy with them because first they spend one month on the phone, trying to get the consumer to fix any problem before they send someone out. Then they send out the technician but failed to ship out everything that he needs to do his work. I sent an e mail asking for the price so I'll decide once I know this.

beers

Staff member
They're just buying time on the repair until your warranty is out.

Have you had similar reboot problems since reinstalling?

I always feel that extended warranties are a huge waste of money, and that's the primary reason vendors push them continuously.

OmniDyne

Unless that computer is 2 grand, I couldn't imagine what that would cost a month ha, like $5?

I paid $23 a month extra on top of my truck payment for an extended warranty through Wells Fargo, saved me $5,000 when the transmission went out 6 months into the loan haha.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, it is the same as what beers said, I find that you do not get value for it. Individuals may come out ahead, like in OmniDyne's case, but on the whole the person purchasing the warranty loses money. If that were not the case extended warranties would not be offered.

Agent Smith

IMO it depends on the user. If you are not very computer smart and can't for the life of you fix things, then perhaps a warranty has its usefulness. For me personally and probably many here, we don't need any kind of warranty since we can diagnose and fix what ever it is that's wrong. Where warranties shine for computer builders are the computer parts themselves. Like the PSU, video card, hard drive or RAM.

I got a three year warranty on my flat screen since there is no way I can fix that if it should bite the dust. And since I paid a fortune for it it's nice to have just in case.

peter912

They're just buying time on the repair until your warranty is out.

Have you had similar reboot problems since reinstalling?

I always feel that extended warranties are a huge waste of money, and that's the primary reason vendors push them continuously.

No, but even before the re installation it happened very infrequently

peter912

In my experience, it is the same as what beers said, I find that you do not get value for it. Individuals may come out ahead, like in OmniDyne's case, but on the whole the person purchasing the warranty loses money. If that were not the case extended warranties would not be offered.

Yes, I know, because usually problems will come out during the first year of ownership when it is under warranty. On expensive, large screen televisions, it is good to get. Extended warranty on cars is very expensive .

Darren

Staff member
Save your money and take it to a shop if you have future issues, they're likely gonna do a better job than fighting with Dell on the phone for weeks on end. If it works great, cool you saved money, if not, well at least you'll actually get competent service next time you have an issue.

peter912

So I finally know the price now. They have been phoning me non stop now for two days and I finally picked up the phone. They want to extend the warranty for 2 years and 8 months. The price started at $135 and kept going down till it reached $105 plus tax. I declined, I said I have to think about this . It is not just the price but the service as well. It took one month of calling to get someone to come out and when someone finally did come out he did nothing. I agree with Darren above.