Extending My WiFi

TarlsQtr

Hi all,

First, I just wanted to say that I am pretty weak when it comes to networking, so I may use the wrong terminology. If you respond, a bunch of acronyms and numbers will not do me too much good without an explanation, so please be warned. :)

I live in a very rural area and have about 5 acres that I would like to cover with wifi. I have pretty clear line of sight to the entire property. I have been researching solutions and it appears that Ubiquiti has the best reputation, but I am not even sure of which product is best for our needs.

We spend a lot of time on the property and we try to keep our cell data plans down to save money. We would like to be able to play music apps off our phone from near the fire pit or while mowing, use the laptop off the side porch, etc. and not use our data plan.

I have Windstream 3Mbps internet, using their router (no external antenna or place for one). In a perfect world, I would want something that could push all 3Mbps through without slowing my speed down and omni-directional. I could run ethernet out to the unit, but would prefer if the unit received the signal from my Windstream router wireless, sent it out the same way, and I only had to get power to it. I have outlets on my front porch and get a strong signal from the router.

Any recommendations for the best products? Thanks in advance.

Geoff

VIP Member
That's quite a tough scenario, as a traditional access point only reach out a few hundred feet at best. You obviously can't install APs in areas where it is just lawn, short of putting up new infrastructure, so you will likely be reliant on installing them on outside furniture like a gazebo, porch, pool house, etc. You can get directional antennas which will extend the range in one direction, but trying to cover 5 acres would be a significant undertaking. 5 acres is 217,800 square feet. An AP may cover around 2-3k square feet.

You also don't want them all connecting back to a consumer wireless router provided by your ISP, you'd want a dedicated switch which all the APs are connected to. Since you'd be running power, I'd recommend using a power over ethernet switch to power the units close to your home, that way you get full bandwidth and don't need to run two cables. Remember though, ethernet is only good for around 300 feet. If you want to install wireless access points further away, you'd need to use point to point wireless links between your house and the other AP, as traditional omni-directional signals will not reach out at a usable signal strength several hundred to a thousand + feet.

You should look at upgrading your internet connection as well. 3Mbps is very poor for even a single grandmother reading email. If you are trying to do any more than that on your wireless, it will not work well for you. Trying to stream HD videos with no one else on the network is not going to be a fun experience.

TarlsQtr

Thanks, Geoff.

The 3mbps is all that Windstream offers here. We can only stream one device at a time but it does YouTube and Netflix well. We are not gamers or anything, so are kind of used to it.

What I am looking at is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...64550051&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=unbiquiti+pico

If I understand it correctly, I would have to plug an ethernet cable into it and be ready to go after configuration. Many report in the comments of getting a good signal hundreds of yards away. I have great line of sight, so I think there is a good chance it will cover all of the yard or at least the most important parts.

I want to make sure this product will do what I think it will, if you (or anyone) has experience with such a set up, etc.

Thanks again!

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks, Geoff.

The 3mbps is all that Windstream offers here. We can only stream one device at a time but it does YouTube and Netflix well. We are not gamers or anything, so are kind of used to it.

What I am looking at is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...64550051&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=unbiquiti+pico

If I understand it correctly, I would have to plug an ethernet cable into it and be ready to go after configuration. Many report in the comments of getting a good signal hundreds of yards away. I have great line of sight, so I think there is a good chance it will cover all of the yard or at least the most important parts.

I want to make sure this product will do what I think it will, if you (or anyone) has experience with such a set up, etc.

Thanks again!
That will work as an access point, but you still have many factors you need to take into consideration.

• Assuming you can get the 500m range it advertises, you'd need dozens to cover 5 acres.
  • You need to figure out how to connect it back to your core switch inside the house (either running ethernet but realizing it has a distance limit of 100m, or buying a point to point wireless link to connect it back to your house)
  • How are you going to install these?