Extending the life of 10 Deskpro EN PII 450Mhz desktops

NeilS

Good morning. I've just started with a company as Dir of Mktg and Sales and am doing an office computer assessment. We have 10, in use, Deskpro SFF PII 450Mhz 2.0gig 64MB machines that I'm interested in RAM and HD space upgrades in order extend life another 12 months as we continue with one new machine purchase per quarter.

Each machine has ~600MB free space remaining. All have NT4.0. Staff are not heavy users or saavy - primary apps are Outlook, Excel, IE, Adobe, Word, and a proprietary thick-client app used for scheduling and billing.

I'm familar with NT 4.0 and it's instability in memory upgrades on older platforms. I'd like to upgrade RAM and free up HD space. Please provide me with any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

/neil

[tab]

[...]
P2 450 should be enough for what you want (especially with NT4), although more RAM would make it a little more pleasant... at least 128M, although I'd recommend 256MB if you can afford it.

As for HDDs, where are the users storing their data? It sounds like they're storing it on the local HDD, don't you have a file server? If not, what are you doing about backups? I'd not worry about increasing the HDD space for the users, I'd be looking into a file server and using policies so the users have no access to their HDD.