Extending WIFI signal through steel wall.

johnnyb58

I’ve been trying to get an answer to this question for over 4 years and I just know there is a solution using all my existing WIFI from a class I had 20 years ago.

So anyway, I have a steel shipping container 100ft from my house router that I want WIFI inside. I have a WIFI signal right up to the door, but it’s gone as soon as I step inside. I have been leaving my tablet outside the door and using blue tooth while inside with the door open. This becomes a problem if I have to shut the door due to cold or rain and I would also like to use my laptop inside.

Before anyone asks, it has to be WIFI because I can't run a ethernet cable across the road.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The metal of the container kills the wifi. There is no other way but to run a cable inside, no other way around it.

johnnyb58

I think the last time I asked about this, I was going to mount a router outside the steel container and drill a small hole through the wall for a short ethernet cable to a computer inside.

The problem I was having was connecting 2 WIFI routers together through WIFI. 10 to 15 years ago I found some settings in the routers to tie them together with WIFI. I don’t remember the terminology for the settings and can’t find them in on the internet. I kind of remember that not all routers can connect like this, but not sure.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I don’t remember the terminology for the settings and can’t find them in on the internet. I kind of remember that not all routers can connect like this, but not sure.
Wireless bridging. Most current asus routers that I'm aware of would be able to do that.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You could also get a Ubiquiti LiteBeam or NanoBeam depending on how far away it is.

johnnyb58

I was looking at a repeater setup on YouTube that's promising, I can't see how to set it up as WIFI so I can move my laptop or tablet around without a cable.

Okedokey

Bolt this bad boy on your container, drill a small hole, bog it up with silicone. Attach to standard wifi router inside your container.

johnnyb58

Bolt this bad boy on your container, drill a small hole, bog it up with silicone. Attach to standard wifi router inside your container.
Oh WOW, Thank you very much. I discovered that my computer does pick up the WIFI outside the steel container, but it's 110°F outside. I'm not really using my computer out there, but I do want to use my tablet to play music on my stereo. Even if I set the tablet outside in the heat with the door open, my stereo doesn't have Bluetooth. Today I put my tablet in a plastic cooler outside and it worked but I would rather not keep the door open in this heat.