external graphics cards?

TMGL&L

So I built my first and only pc last Summer basically for graphically intense programs like the adobe suite, video editing, and Blender 3d. Its an air cooled system with a quad q6600 running on the asus p5k epu mobo 2 gigs ram and a 9800 gtx in an antec case. Its a good system for basic graphic work but its still not near enough power for what I wanna do yet.

A friend of mine told me that some professional movie makers have some sort of external video card rig that they connect to their computers to boost their graphics capabilities..... Is this there any truth to that at all?

Is it possible to rig up a few nice video cards in a little case and connect them to any computer via usb? I'm thinking it would sort of resemble an external hdd.

TMGL&L

btw... an external device like this would be handy for me because I travel a lot a big desktop isn't very travel friendly.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I know programs are slowly going towards GPUs, but the majority of 3D/graphics software is actually processor intensive. Your performance probably wouldn't change much with an upgraded (or even downgraded) GPU.

As for external GPUs, it goes both ways. There are basic USB ones that are essentially for simple external displays (power points and such) and some high end ones that connect to express-card slots. I think Nvidia might have some extreme graphics systems, but for the most part, you'd probably get about the same performance as with what you have.

Damorian

Unless you're thinking of a renderfarm. Which is essentially a cluster of computers working together to render significantly faster.

TMGL&L

Unless you're thinking of a renderfarm. Which is essentially a cluster of computers working together to render significantly faster.

I believe a renderfarm is actually what I was trying to describe. Thanks. I'm going to research that further.

...And I haven't over clocked my pc yet. I really need to figure that out. I built my system with components that are supposed to be highly overclockable.

I still have money though that I want to upgrade my setup with.... I'm gonna say about 500 bucks max.

Another idea I was thinking to implement is to boot off of some fast (10,000 rpm maybe ) external hdd's in a case together in some sort of raid setup. That way when I travel I can at least have my entire adobe suite with me on my laptop along with all my programs and files all the time. Additionally, I can use any computer in my own home, other houses, or public computer almost like my own.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Adobe's very particular about how their files are installed. You wouldn't be able to run them from an external device... And even if it would work, you'd still need a license per machine.

Also, I'm not really sure what you want from the external drive. Performance wise, you're going to be very limited unless you use something like eSATA. And even still, perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't see with what you're doing, needing the speed from a RAID/10K drives.

TMGL&L

Also, I'm not really sure what you want from the external drive. Performance wise, you're going to be very limited unless you use something like eSATA. And even still, perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't see with what you're doing, needing the speed from a RAID/10K drives.

I'm probably going to start a new thread when I better formulate my goals and brainstorm solutions.

Reasons for the hdds and the gpus....
-Well I do a lot of traveling so I was just thinking of creative ways that I could bring my work with me and still have excellent performance everywhere I go... I guess I'll scratch the idea with the external gpus.

-And with the raided hdd's I was thinking that theoretically since the hard disk is the slowest form of memory that if I upgrade significantly in that category I would upgrade the speed of my whole system. Rem I could have an awesome rig with an old scratchy 5400 rpm hdd and my computer will still load programs slowly. Also, I have sampled midi instraments (grand piano) from the ableton suite that preform better with faster disk speeds. Not to mention massive vector files and media from video editing that take sooo long to save and load.

-I want to spend a little cash and be one step closer to the "ultimate setup"... I'm sure other geeky members can relate.

-I want to learn

........ I'll look into the limitations of external hdd's, esata and other fun stuff like that.

Last edited:

TMGL&L

additionally I would like to add that I've been playing with the idea of building a small server in my home office for my network as a home base. I have friends who I partner with when I do my work who I often need to transfer files with constantly therefore a server would prove very useful for me. I'm thinking that file transfer over a LAN would be lightning fast a convenient esspecially for several users. Likewise, this "renderfarm" thing is very intriguing to say the least... I'm currently reading up on Toms hardware and other sites right now.

I want to add that I have access to my college's tech department junk/recycled parts where I can get used parts cheap or free. I intend to take advantage of this resource.

TMGL&L

Adobe's very particular about how their files are installed. You wouldn't be able to run them from an external device... And even if it would work, you'd still need a license per machine.

I'm planning on installing my operating system on the external hdd and booting off of that every time I use a computer. Wouldn't the programs just install in their corresponding folders in the external hdd and work the same as they normally would on a system drive?...

....maybe changing from one mobo to the next (mac address changes) will cause issues with adobe and other applications.

Last edited: