External hard drive to TV

spl00g

OK so I wasn't sure where the best place for this question would be so here it is.

I am looking to buy an external hard drive (probably 1TB) to store some of my movies and tv shows on. my overall goal in doing this is to be able to easily transfer anything from my pc onto the hard drive and then plug the hard drive into my tv or when traveling into someone elses tv. currently i have a crappy old tv but am looking at buying a new lcd tv. so my question is what kind of things can you guys recommend as far as what to make sure my tv has for hookups. I'd also like to know what the easiest way to make the hard drive show up on the tv. is it through a dvd player or is there another way to do it?

so far I'm looking at probably just buying a dvd player with usb ports and the capability to playback videos. hopefully there is a simple way to make it so that it can go external hard drive directly to tv is what I'm looking for so i can take the hard drive to a friends house and still have it work.

thanks for replies in advance

cohen

i don't think are going to be able to do it... if you have a laptop use that... but otherwise i don't think your going to be able to do that unless you buy a unit that you plug the hard drive into and then it goes into a inpout on the TV... but then if you want to go to a friends house... your going to have to take that box to your friends house.

jw214

yeah, you could do it off a laptop if you wanted it to be portable, like cohen said. or build a home theater box. as long as you plug the computer into the tv you should be able to play movies on it. get a router for your main box and a wireless card for the laptop/ht box and you could send a movie from your office to your ht box and watch it without ever getting up off the couch. well, as long as they're both turned on

cohen

yeah, you could do it off a laptop if you wanted it to be portable, like cohen said. or build a home theater box. as long as you plug the computer into the tv you should be able to play movies on it. get a router for your main box and a wireless card for the laptop/ht box and you could send a movie from your office to your ht box and watch it without ever getting up off the couch. well, as long as they're both turned on

yes you can get a good box for a good price now..... so you should be ok if you build one!