External HD 300GB???

dansilva

hello. i am looking foward to buy an exterbal HD very soon. i am talking about at least 250GB+ (300GB will be IDEAL). i would like you experties to help me find a very very good HD that is at a reasonable cost, LOW noise and very reliable (this is a important factor as well as the noise).

i would really appreciate your help.
thank you for ur time

Super_Nova

I'm not sure where to buy them already made. I was going to find some sort of enclosure and then stack 4 250GB drives together using USB2.0/Firewire to IDE adapter cards and then get a 4 port USB2.0 and a 4 port Firewire hub to go in the enclosure. Then format the whole array with a striped volume.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Super_Nova said:
I'm not sure where to buy them already made. I was going to find some sort of enclosure and then stack 4 250GB drives together using USB2.0/Firewire to IDE adapter cards and then get a 4 port USB2.0 and a 4 port Firewire hub to go in the enclosure. Then format the whole array with a striped volume.

dang...all that is probably more expensive than an entire computer lol. What would you put on it?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Where can you get a terabyte drive retail?
You cant. The biggest retail drive weighs a 400GB and thats been around for ages now. TB units are a result of NAS/SAN

I was going to find some sort of enclosure and then stack 4 250GB drives together using USB2.0/Firewire to IDE adapter cards and then get a 4 port USB2.0 and a 4 port Firewire hub to go in the enclosure. Then format the whole array with a striped volume.
You'd get a crapload more performance making use of RAID5 :) (not to mention some redundnancy). USB2 would negate the benifit of the striping by limiting you to a whopping 60MBytes/s