External HDD disappeared

ssal

I have a Seagate 500 gb HDD connected to the laptop via a SATA USB adapter. It was working well for a few months. Lately, the drive would go to sleep and a dialog would pop up and I can restart it.

I did something with it with the cloning software tonight. The Cloning failed in midstream. Now window explorer would not recognize the drive.

I opened up Disk Management and is able to see the drive as Disk1 with the various partition. But there is no option to format it, or to assign a drive letter to it.

The property said the drive is working properly.

Suggestion please.:eek:

ssal

Since Macrium recognizes the drive, I was able to clone to the drive at issue. Took a couple of times to get it right. But it is working now. I put swapped out the drive and it works seamlessly.

MACRIUM rocks.

Agent Smith

I would just make sure that the power settings aren't putting the drive to sleep. Go into device manager and under universal serial bus controllers right click all of the USB root hubs, click the power management tab and uncheck to turn off the device or something like that.

Peakkk

Since Macrium recognizes the drive, I was able to clone to the drive at issue. Took a couple of times to get it right. But it is working now. I put swapped out the drive and it works seamlessly.

MACRIUM rocks.

Actually, you can just use a partition master to format or assign a drive letter or to clone the hard drive.
Just google "partition master", and you will get a lot options, some of them are freeware.