External HDD...small vs desktop...reliability?

Is there any opinion as to what is more reliable? An external USB powered mini HDD or a full-size desktop external HDD that is AC powered as well as USB connected?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Depends on the drive really, though if you get a good name brand with decent reviews and a history of reliability, either type will work. Ultimately it will just depend on your preference.

AlienMenace

If cost feasible yes. It's only going to be another 2-3 years where mechanical drives are relatively obsolete in the consumer space.
Well my WD 250gb 2.5 mechanical has been running now for over 6 years. I bought the laptop drive and bought the case separately and put it together. lol

Darren

Staff member
Well my WD 250gb 2.5 mechanical has been running now for over 6 years. I bought the laptop drive and bought the case separately and put it together. lol
I've got a 1TB Passport that's at least 6 years old now. Been all over the country, tossed in bags, dropped. Still kicking no problem. The 750GB out of my lappy I put in an enclosure and I got that drive in 2014, still good.