External RAID Solution

twodefen

I'm interested in building/buying an external RAID configuration to back up some fairly important data. I've noticed that several companies have come out with dual-drive RAID1 configurations that use software RAID and seem decent. However, I've heard some bad things about software RAID, so I figured I'd come here and ask what a good solution would be.

My main computer is a laptop, so solutions requiring PCIe cards are probably out of the question. I'm not completely opposed to a small form factor to be used just for backups, but that would probably not be my ideal solution.

I was considering building/buying a 4 or 5 drive system and either starting with 2, or getting something with more, to use in RAID1. I will be using whatever system exclusively in RAID-1, as data backup is my only concern, not storage space. I was wondering if you all might be able to point me in the right direction. I'd like to go for maximum reliability (which probably means buying my own drives), and something fairly quiet (though passive doesn't seem the best choice, perhaps something with a 120mm fan).

My budget is a slightly flexible $600.

Thanks for any help.

hondro

what is software raid? i dont really understand if u want to just not use the harddrive in ur laptop at all and just keep everyting on the raid. if u still plan on using ur laptop harddrive as ur main drive then u shouldnt need a raid for backup, u could just buy an external drive and back everything up on there.