External Thumb or Flash drive?

jbaannyl

Okay, as per title, thumb vs flash drive which should I use and what're the pros and cons as I find that other than the slightly faster speed, flash drives are cheaper and more compact?
Both are the same storage space and the price is similar. The only difference is the physical size and speed. So why pick one over the other?
The use case would be to move my Photos library from my PC onto one of these devices and probably some other files as it's taking too much space on my PC.
While at it, any online storage space recommendations, as I would like to have an online backup source for my photos as well.

Last edited:

tremmor

Support for usb3 is a lot faster. Also find one that supports OTG (on the go).
You will be able to plug it in to like your cell phone for upload and download.
besides using on all the computers.

beers

Staff member
Those are synonymous terms to me, unless you mean like a SDXC card or something.

Depending on your internet and volume of data, something like onedrive or google cloud might be a less expensive and more reliable option.
The only difference is the physical size and speed. So why pick one over the other?
Depends how much data you have and how long you'd like to wait.

I have a couple super slow larger capacity drives, it's very painful waiting for data to transfer at ~7 MB/sec if you're moving a large volume of data (2.5 min per gigabyte), 60 gigabytes would take you two and a half hours.

The same transfer to a USBC 10 gigabit SSD would be slightly over a minute, assuming your computer has a compatible interface.