Extra hard dirve. What to do with it?

Bob Jeffery

I just ordered a 500 gig samsung and will have a 160 gig WD with nothing on it. Anyone have any uses for it? I have no idea what I could use it for. I thought about using it as a backup for my music and important documents and stuff like that.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Use the 160 for windows and programs and use the 500 for your personal data such as music, pics, office documents..etc.

paulcheung

I just ordered a 500 gig samsung and will have a 160 gig WD with nothing on it. Anyone have any uses for it? I have no idea what I could use it for. I thought about using it as a backup for my music and important documents and stuff like that.
Since my laptops can't use two drives. I clone the old drive to the new one and takeout the old one store it in a safe place in case the new drive crash or get virus so I can clone back the os and program with one shot.

linkin

VIP Member
Back up your data of course.

If you want a fun little experiment, you could take the drive apart just to tinker with it. it will probably be unusable after that though. the magnets inside are quite powerful and if it's a 3.5" drive you can use the platters as fancy drink coasters :D

For 3.5" drives you will need a set of Torx T-x (x being the size of the screwdriver head) screwdrives and for 2.5" drives you will need a tiny philips head screwdriver.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use the 160 for windows and programs and use the 500 for your personal data such as music, pics, office documents..etc.

+1 that's what i do,i have my ssd for Windows 7,my 250Gb drive for Applications & Games and my 500Gb drive for storage only. :)