Extra hard drive very hot...in a bad position?

tmcksmith

where should i be putting this hard drive that i just installed inside the computer? right now it's kind of just 'sitting' on top of my floppy drive. my computer is set up so it's a cd rom drive, then below there was a thick gap, and then came the floppy disc drive. so i just kinda 'sat' the extra hard drive in that gap. is that okay? it wouldn't really move around if i picked up the computer, because the wires that it's plugged into hold firm into place for the most part . but when i took out the extra hard drive at first, it was like burning hot. what's up with that? i felt my main hard drive, and it was just a tiny bit warm. the extra one i put in is verrrry HOT, and it's not like my computer has been on for long either - maybe 10 minutes.

is that a bad place to put it? do i need some kind of special case so it will snap into place in that extra 'gap', rather than just 'sitting' there? if so, where do they sell these cases? it seems like the cd rom drive and floppy disc drive have these black things on the side and cases that make them snap into place, maybe that's what i need to get?

my main question - is it safe to have my computer on right now? i'm worried that the hard drive will explode or something hahah. no, but i'm worried that it will cause damage to the hard drive and maybe other things inside the computer. but maybe it's normal for it to get that hot and i should leave it how it is? i dont know. you tell me. thanks alot for the input.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Define hot :) Most drives, without cooling will sit in the 50-60º range after extended use. With just a simple fan you can cool the sucker down to 30-35º :) Fancier fans can drop the temps to the 25-30º range :)

tmcksmith

i mean pretty darn hot. and it's not from extended use. like if i put my finger on it i probably couldnt hold it there for that long cause it would hurt. what should i do?

is it cause it's metal sitting on top of metal maybe?

Nephilim

VIP Member
Your hard drive isn't going to explode or anything but with the temperatures as high as you're suggesting I wouldn't be surprised if you start having major problems with it.

As with everything in a PC, heat kills. If at all possible move the hard drive to a spot where it can at least get some sort of airflow around it :)

tmcksmith

i don't think i can fit in a hard drive cooler. all of the one's i've seen are for the 5 1/4 bay, but the hard drive is sitting on top of the floppy drive which is in a smaller bay thatn 5 1/4 (i'd say it's like 4 1/2 maybe less). any idea where i can find one this size? although the hard drive itself just barley fits in there, i doubt i can fit something around it...sigh

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
As Nephilim said:
Your hard drive isn't going to explode or anything but with the temperatures as high as you're suggesting I wouldn't be surprised if you start having major problems with it.

i don't think I can fit in a hard drive cooler. all of the one's i've seen are for the 5 1/4 bay, but the hard drive is sitting on top of the floppy drive which is in a smaller bay thatn 5 1/4 (i'd say it's like 4 1/2 maybe less)
The bay is 3.5" :) and you might be able to squeeze one of the low-profile coolers on there, something like this http://www.xoxide.com/untwofanhadr.html

so do you think my computer is in danger leaving it how it is?
Nah you should be ok... 90% of people run their comps without HDD cooling :)