Failed pump in aio cooler

jamesd1981

Looking for some 2nd opinions, tonight saw the fans on my aio cooler start going crazy even though machine was sitting idle, checked temps straight away, cpu was at 100c so flicked it off straight away.

Had a look for any problems and noticed some dust between the fans & radiator but hardly major, so decided to take cooler off and fully clean it anyway.

Put it back on expecting everything to be fine, straight away fans racing again and temps rising fast, had a feel of the hoses and did not feel like any coolant flowing around the unit.

So is it most likely the pump has failed ?

jamesd1981

The only sound is the fans, there is no sound or feel of the coolant flowing.

Unfortunately I can`t RMA it must be at least couple years old by now, never was massively impressed by water loop anyway much more hassle for very little gain.

Just have to look for a good air cooler, anyone recommend any that do not mount under the motherboard ?

Last edited:

jamesd1981

I ended up going with the cooler master TX3 EVO 3, it has good reviews with decent performance but does not needed mounted under motherboard.

Maybe slightly under the 212 in performance but balanced with price and hassle to fit, it`s a reasonable trade off

Laquer Head

I ended up going with the cooler master TX3 EVO 3, it has good reviews with decent performance but does not needed mounted under motherboard.

Maybe slightly under the 212 in performance but balanced with price and hassle to fit, it`s a reasonable trade off

Yikes, those push pin type coolers with big heatsink sketch me out, just doesn't seem strong enough to hold something sticking out that much

jamesd1981

Ok all so update on the cooling situation, today i got my TX3 evo 3 cooler and a bundle of cooler master sickle flow 120mm case fans, all temps seem to be good however wonder if i can get the cpu temp a couple of degrees lower

Firstly the cooler may not require the removal of the motherboard to fit a backplate, but because of it`s multi socket design it was a bit of a pain getting all the mounting brackets in the right place, you have 3 holes to choose from and the manual is useless, just in case anyone ever gets the same cooler on my 1150 socket it was the middle hole that gets the brackets in the right position for the push pins to line up, also it comes with the fan fitted it makes life a lot easier if you remove the fan to fit the cooler

The temp I am getting at idle/browsing is between 34-36c, but i have fitted new case fans and i wonder if the config is costing me some cpu cooling

I have 3 cooler master 120mm fans installed,1 in front of case, 1 on case panel, 1 on rear of case, they are configured to draw air in from the front bottom and in from the case panel blowing cold air on to the graphics card which seems to be working very well, then blowing hot air from rear of case

Now due to the height of my ram chips, i have the cooler fan and read exhaust fan facing each other, so in effect competing for the air in 2 different directions the cpu fan trying to draw in to the cooler while the rear fan blowing out

So do you think this is ok,or should i either turn the cpu fan so it drawing out from the cooler thus blowing in the same direction of the rear case fan, or move or change the ram and move the cpu fan to the other side of the cooler away from the rear case fan ?

Finally with the case fans installed my general case temps are much improved the all drives are under 30c and the 970 sits at 32c idle

C4C

Yikes, those push pin type coolers with big heatsink sketch me out, just doesn't seem strong enough to hold something sticking out that much

The 212 Evo was secure for my last 2 builds, but only because the screw points were more flush for AMD.

I think you should be fine with the setup now, but if you're concerned, try holding an extinguished match or incense to an open area on the case (slots on back, or open optical bay) to see if the smoke/flame is neutral or being pulled/pushed by the airflow.

TL;DR Try to get as neutral air pressure in the case as possible!