Failing HD?

The VCR King

So on one hand, my hard drive passes all the SMART tests, I ran every test possible in SeaTools and it passed all of them. There is also no noticable lagging when reading or writing files. It seems to be working perfectly fine.

HOWEVER

It is noisy as hell! I swear when I read or write anything to my hard drive, it sounds like a jackhammer! My entire PC vibrates and if my arms are on my desk it feels like my phone is ringing or something...

Why does my hard drive vibrate like this? Lol because it's properly installed in my case with the rails and everything...

I'm just confused because it passes all the SMART tests and has no noticable performance issues, yet it's just so so NOISY!

Not sure, I have a WD Caviar Black from 2010.
An almost 8 years old drive? Crazy question, but, why not just replace the drive, especially if it may contain data you really do not wish to lose?

EDIT: I just did a quick price check. A 1 Terabyte WD, USB 3.0 external drive, is currently $54 US on Amazon. A 4 Terabyte WD, USB 3.0 external drive, is $100 US.

The VCR King

I'm going to be up in the area of town where my local MicroCenter is today so I'll just do that because I can clone my old disk to it, right?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. But what I would actually do is if its been a while since your last fresh install, I would just reinstall windows and copy over any data you need.

The VCR King

Yes. But what I would actually do is if its been a while since your last fresh install, I would just reinstall windows and copy over any data you need.
My last Windows install was around July of last year when my registry got ****ed so I think it's probably fresh enough.

The VCR King

Okay I got the sale WD Blue drive today I'm waiting until this weekend when I don't have school and have more time to concentrate and I'll clone my current drive onto it, hopefully it should all be smooth sailing from there. Thanks yall

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
And if you are testing a WD drive using seatools that's a no no. You should be using their own tool. TBH, if it's making noise I wouldn't be cloning it. Why take the chance?

Darren

Staff member
And if you are testing a WD drive using seatools that's a no no. You should be using their own tool. TBH, if it's making noise I wouldn't be cloning it. Why take the chance?
I use exclusively Seatools at work and on hundreds of WD drives over the past 2 years. Works fine for me. Some drives are naturally just noisy too, if it passes a long test on Seatools or your preferred software its fine for cloning.

Okay I got the sale WD Blue drive today I'm waiting until this weekend when I don't have school and have more time to concentrate and I'll clone my current drive onto it, hopefully it should all be smooth sailing from there. Thanks yall
I agree with @johnb35. I would just transfer the files over to the new drive.

JaredDM

The Red drives are low rpm, low vibration units meant for NAS use.

Actually, WD RED drives come in 7200 RPM varieties too. They just have an extra sensor to help them compensate for effects of vibration as well as a few RAID friendly firmware features that prevent them from causing stalls if one drive hits a slow read in an array with redundancy.

They also may have some NAS friendly power features. For example, you wouldn't want to use a WD Green in a NAS because it'd probably try to spin down after a long idle period which would lead to a long hang when a read request is finally received and the drive has to spin up from a cold stop. The Red, on the other hand, will just slow the spindle a bit for power savings but is still ready to read data a moment's notice.

Last edited: