Failing HDD?

WeatherMan

Hi guys.

Been meaning to post this for a while,

I have a 2TB Seagate SATAIII Drive (ST2000DM001)

The story: I was doing some benching a few weeks ago, 3DMark to be precise, and to max my score I decided to overclock the BCLK on my system (Sandy Bridge)

I did do some research before this, and found that it was extremely iffy to OC the bclk with SB. Although it was said for short benching sessions it would be OK, problems mentioned with HDD corruption etc.

Anyway, as soon as I did the OC to 107MHz on the BCLK, my HDD started to make a strange kind of clicking/ spinning up sound, constantly.

I was benching for around half an hour. then went back to stock

problem dissapeared

A few weeks later I was casually using the system with the BCLK at stock, with the drive occasionally re-spinning up, next what happened was the drive? started beeping, I thought uhoh something is wrong, tried to access the drive and was sucessful, but streaming any HD media from it would result in pixelation and seek issues.

A few minutes passed and the drive? stopped beeping, I was then able to access everything on the drive as normal. I decided to format it for good measure.

The drive now keeps occasionally re-spinning up every now and again, which I think is odd.

I have done many tests on the drive, sector/block checks, seatools diag tests, everything passes.

inside S.M.A.R.T the Spin Retry count shows up as yellow (OK HEALTH) and also another stat (shown as unknown) shows up as yellow (OK HEALTH).

I ain't sure what to do with this drive.

I could RMA it and have another drive sent to me, or I could start using it again and hope for the best?

I have heard that seagate drives commonly show up errors with the spin retry count inside smart status.

Advice?

2048Megabytes

Clicking coming from a hard drive is never a good thing. It is a sign of defects. In my opinion the hard drive is starting to go out. I would get it replaced while it is under warranty.