Fallout 3 help...

eleventytwo

Just a heads up, not talking about Las Vegas.

Anyways...I've encountered quite a number of problems with this game...Mostly with it freezing up on me.

My first couple problems did occur until I stepped outside of the vault. At first, I couldn't even explore the desolate wasteland until I played the game in windowed mode. Then the next problem was when a med-pack or something that temporarily gives you stat boosts runs out. When this happens, it freezes as well, but on the screen it shows streaks of grey and white stripes running up and down the screen.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about then I'll be more than happy to listen to what you have to say. I really want to play this game, but at this point i've given up. The website offers only one solution and that does nothing for me.

eleventytwo

Hmm. It most definitely sounds like video problems. I couldn't say as I haven't played Fallout 3 on PC, but some games are particular about certain nvidia graphics card models. You might want to look up something like 'fallout 3 nvidia fix' or just try updating your drivers might help.

EDIT: I did that search for you and I came up with this:

http://www.gamingnewslink.com/2008/10/29/fixing-fallout-3-crashing-freezing-and-installation-errors/

might help

Yeah...I already tried that :(

ATI Radeon HD 4670 is my graphics card if that helps..

linkin

VIP Member
It's not your card IMO, Fallout 3 is a buggy POS. What version do you have? Retail? Steam?

If it's a retail copy see if you can download the latest patch.

eleventytwo

It's not your card IMO, Fallout 3 is a buggy POS. What version do you have? Retail? Steam?

If it's a retail copy see if you can download the latest patch.

I believe I have the most recent version. I bought it off ebay new if that accounts for anything.. So no steam support, i guess.

Any help?

Hsv_Man

Yeah fallout 3 is from all the versions i've seen in Australia "Games For Windows Live" and does not involve steam "GFWL" will update you to the most updated version this being i believe V 1.7. The problem with fallout 3 it was not designed to run on windows 7 and was only really designed for windows xp and windows vista not like the new Fallout New Vegas. This game is buggy i.e you can't tab out of game and return without the game freezing/crashing and other crashes can occur when wandering the wasteland (although my copy seems to have calmed down alot since 1.7 and haven't seen a crash in ages). My advice is to save regularly and make sure you are updated to V 1.7. Good luck :)

linkin

VIP Member
If you bought the GOTY edition it should have the latest patch. If not, download it off the net somewhere.

mrjack

VIP Member
Where did you install the game? Apparently installing Fallout 3 into the default "C:\Program Files\..." or "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." location causes issues due to restrictions imposed by UAC. If you have it installed there, then I suggest trying to install it on another partition.

You might also want to look into the unofficial patch. If it's anything like the unofficial patches for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, then it'll be useful in fixing crashes and all kinds of stuff. However, I recommend reading through the comments and taking a look at the full version history that is available as a separate download. Why? Because it may cause some problems if it is incompatible with some mods or requires a certain load order for the mods.

EDIT: If you are going to try out the unofficial patches, make sure you get the latest versions. Apparently the unofficial Broken Steel DLC patch had some issues until an updated version was uploaded and some have had issues when visiting Rivet City while using the unofficial patches. Consider using the unofficial patches as something of a last resort unless you have no problems with reinstalling the game.

Try to look around in the PC Issues section of the official Fallout 3 forums. You might find out that someone has a similar or even the exact same issues.

Last edited:

eleventytwo

Where did you install the game? Apparently installing Fallout 3 into the default "C:\Program Files\..." or "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." location causes issues due to restrictions imposed by UAC. If you have it installed there, then I suggest trying to install it on another partition.

You might also want to look into the unofficial patch. If it's anything like the unofficial patches for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, then it'll be useful in fixing crashes and all kinds of stuff. However, I recommend reading through the comments and taking a look at the full version history that is available as a separate download. Why? Because it may cause some problems if it is incompatible with some mods or requires a certain load order for the mods.

EDIT: If you are going to try out the unofficial patches, make sure you get the latest versions. Apparently the unofficial Broken Steel DLC patch had some issues until an updated version was uploaded and some have had issues when visiting Rivet City while using the unofficial patches. Consider using the unofficial patches as something of a last resort unless you have no problems with reinstalling the game.

Try to look around in the PC Issues section of the official Fallout 3 forums. You might find out that someone has a similar or even the exact same issues.

Hm, alright thanks for the info :) I'll try all that and hopefully I'll have some luck!