Fan confusion, exaust and intake

DragonzRoost

Sorry if this sounds like a goofy question, I'm currently trying to repair some fans that shorted and not sure if a rear exhaust means High static or something else. Same goes for whether a front intake fan is a high air flow. When searching these are the options that pop up, am I wrong about this? Thank you!!

beers

Staff member
Static pressure is when blowing through a radiator or dense heatsink, a lot of the 'high static pressure' fans you see are meant to be attached to radiators.

'Air flow' fans such as the Corsair AF are more for 'general case' where you don't have any major restriction on either side of the fan.

DragonzRoost

What fans should I use for the front if there is a door and tight spacing? The rear exaust fan is the most confusing and I'm not entirely sure what to replace it with. Thank you again, this is just very stressing..

Last edited:

DragonzRoost

I do know the size is 120mm for both front and back, just not sure what fans an exaust and intake are. When searching for them the only two things that come up are static and high air pressure. I really appreciate the help and apologies for any prior misunderstanding!

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I do know the size is 120mm for both front and back, just not sure what fans an exaust and intake are. When searching for them the only two things that come up are static and high air pressure. I really appreciate the help and apologies for any prior misunderstanding!
I don't understand what you're looking for.

By definition, an intake fan is just positioned so the fan sucks in fresh air. An exhaust fan is positioned to blow hot air out. You can use any fan to do that.

DragonzRoost

This goes to show my knowledge on simple computer parts..lol.. Thank you sooo much again for taking the time to respond. This computer was built by a friend and as you can tell I'm clearly not at all a tech and think I am just overwhelmed by all the cords out of place atm. This helped answer everything and made the light bulb pop on..so to speak.. One of those answers you think is complex but, ends up being incredibly simple. *facepalm*

Last question, if there is little space that is constricted in the front of the tower where a fan is, like an attached door would static be a good idea or is this strictly for heatsinks? Not sure if the tight space would be an issue for a regular air fan to cool. If this didn't make sense I again apologize. Thanks again for resolving this issue!

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
A regular one would be fine. Usually you'd be better off just comparing CFM and dBa ratings between units unless you are strapping it to a heatsink.