Fan connector

TroubledViking

I recently got a new computer and I have it stored in a less that air-friendly environment. I have the ASUS P8H77-M PRO motherboard and I can't find any 3 pin connections on it to connect another fan to (ignoring CPU and exhaust fan). Is there a connector on the board I can't see or does it simply not support more fans?

Also, I understand some fans connect to the PSU directly for power, in the even that I can't use the motherboard, is this a wise option?

Thanks much.
TViking.

Benny Boy

Your mb has:
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
1 x Power Fan connector(s) (3 -pin)

A 3 pin fan works on 4 pin connector(mb header).

TroubledViking

Your mb has:
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
1 x Power Fan connector(s) (3 -pin)

A 3 pin fan works on 4 pin connector(mb header).

Ok thanks very much. I noticed on my Mothoerboard user guide the spare 4pin down the bottom, but I didn't think they were compatible with the 3pins.

Thanks again,

TViking

Benny Boy

np, yw. And to answer your other ?. With the use of an adapter, a fan with 2,3,or 4 wires can be plugged into the power supply's 4 pin [molex] connector or to the mb. Using the ps's molex connector will make any of those run at full speed all the time. A 2 wire fan, altho mb connectable, will run at full speed unless a fan controller is used. 3 & 4 wire fan speed when connected to mb can be controlled by free software, from you mb manuf's disc/site or 3rd party.

Last edited:

TroubledViking

Hi again.

I've successfully installed my new CoolerMaster 120mm fan in the front of the tower, but i was hoping to use the side vent as well (I have one 4pin slot open on the Mobo). Here's my problem, it's fairly obvious when a space is 120mm wide, but I honestly can't tell what size my side vent is. The measurement changes when i go from diameter to length. Also, do I measure from the screw holes?

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1317&ID=1443

That's my case, but the site doesn't give specifications.

Thanks much

*EDIT*

If I measure the vent diagonally from screw hole to screw hole, it measures at 120 mm
If I measure diagonally from the vent proper across, it's about 100 mm

Last edited: