Fan Controller.

Heku

Hey guys, since i'm thinking of making a green build, i've been thinking of getting some green fans
(5x120mm Sickleflow green led, 1x200mm Bitfenix Spectre (pro?) green led.. 120mm: 2xtop, 2xcpu cooler [212 Evo..], 1x rear, 200mm front).
I would like to be able to controll all of my fans, but my motherboard only has 2x4-pin connectors.
So i've been thinking about getting a fan controller. The problem is that it can't be a 5.25 bay slot controller (because i'm gonna mod my front i/o there), and not a pci-slot controller (don't have any free slots on the case..).
The only thing i've really found that could work is a NZXT GRID+, but that comes with a price of ~42€.. i'm just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the NZXT GRID+ and if it is worth the money..

I've got a couple of solutions.

The simplest solution is to get a couple of Y-splitters so you can power two fans from a single header on the motherboard.

This is a Y-splitter.

k7xvqLv.jpg

The alternative is something like this which draws the power from the PSU but uses a connection to the motherboard to control the fan speed.

Both those solutions are fairly cheap but need to be used with PWM fans instead of voltage-controlled fans. There's a reasonably good chance you're using PWM fans anyway but check.