Fan Cooling - How many? - Which ones?

Rambo

Hello (again)!!

I'm going to be building a gaming pc this xmas and was thinking how many fans I should have. I remember Praetor telling me which ones to get but how many? He said to get a "Thermaltake Volcano12 Extreme" or for a more silent option get a "Thermaltake Volcano12 Extreme". I'll go with the Thermaltake Volcano12 Extreme and slow it down for my needs :p.How many Extra fans should I get that go inside. I don't like the thought of cutting my case that I will be buying.

EDIT:

Do the Thermaltake Volcano12 Extreme fans go on the processor?

EDIT AGAIN: I can get a Thermaltake Volcano 9 CPU Fan - Max CFM !!!Would that be good?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
or for a more silent option get a "Thermaltake Volcano12 Extreme".
You mean the Thermaltake Silentboost K7? ;)

How many Extra fans should I get that go inside.
How ever many you want :p Do note that after the fourth tornado the sound level kinda stabilizes :p

Do the Thermaltake Volcano12 Extreme fans go on the processor?
They do

I can get a Thermaltake Volcano 9 CPU Fan - Max CFM !!!Would that be good?
The Volcano12 will eat that alive. The Volc9 wasnt that great, got one at home, barely outpaces my Volcano7+

Rambo

Cool, thanks praetor!

Do you have a recommendation though as to how many to have? Taking into account that I don't like the "cut my case" option!! LOL!

Thanks......

[KoG]^wEaZel

well have atleast 1 intake and 1 out take but i have found if you have say 2 intake and 3 out take it works alot better what im getting at is its better to have more out take then intake

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a recommendation though as to how many to have?
No. Thats your preference, for me, the more, the louder, the better ... my ideal case consists of 12 Tornado92s.

Rambo

How do you have an "out-take" fan? I kinda get what you mean about the fans blowng the warm air OUT of the case, but does that mean I will have to cut through the shiny black painted and beautiful looking case I just brought for £27 :eek: ? I don't like the idea of that yet, maybe when it's aged a bit and when it doesn't work as good....

Cheers!

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well not really.

Most new cases have 2 air out-take "vacancies" in the back meaning that you do not need to cut into anythng. Most cases have a front air intake as well. That should be sufficient for the most essential cooling. I found that by me having two air intake fans, 2 out-take and 2 PSU fans...I am sattisfied and stay cool. That's the essential bit.

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How do you have an "out-take" fan? I kinda get what you mean about the fans blowng the warm air OUT of the case, but does that mean I will have to cut through the shiny black painted and beautiful looking case I just brought for £27
Outtake fan = any fan that gets hot air out of the case. Whether you have to cut the case or not is dependent on the case ... me i go for performance, looks and noise and other stuff come second