. Fan Lights

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by bearcat, Oct 5, 2019.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

Thank you for taking a look.

I have a new computer, and tech support is pretty bad to nonexistent.

I live in a tiny one room apartment, and typically I leave the computer running all the time.

#1. Is it better for the hard drives to leave the machine running all the time, or to shut it off when not in use?

#2. How can I turn off the fan lights but still keep the fan running?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRBWMHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shinobee SSD Ultra 8-Core Gaming PC/Multimedia Desktop Computer - FX 8300 8 x 4.20 GHz - AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB DDR5 Graphics - 8GB DDR3-240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - Win10 Pro - CD/DVD±RW - WiFi #6006

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Shut it off overnight. If they are led fans probably won't be able to turn them off.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

Thank you. At some point somewhere someone told me that the SSD drive has a short life compared to an HDD drive. True or false?

In paranoia that this may be true, I bought a flash drive and created a rescue USB for Windows 10, since I was also told that is where the OS resides.

Long ago I was told that the physical process of spinning up and spinning down an HDD wears it out, so you should just leave it on all the time. True or false?

Surprised that there is no third party software I could install to turn on and off the fan lights.

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

False. Mechanical HDD's are more common to fail then SSD's. However, I still must point out that any device can fail at any time.

Debatable. The constant spin of an HDD will make it wear out faster I believe. Also, its economical to actually power off the system at night to save electricity.
    Are they RGB? If the motherboard has rgb software, it may be possible to turn them off. Mine has rgb but not sure if I can actually turn them off totally.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

Electricity is not a major concern. It is included in my rent, and I despise my landlords.
    I am not sure what RGB means. They are the color red, all of the time. How would I know if the compter has RGB software?
    At any rate, shut off machine overnight last night. It was a relief that it did not take forever to start up again this morning.
    Thank you again, by the way, for your answers, greatly appreciated.