Fan turns on but computer doesn't boot

amando96

Hi, i have had this issue for the last months, i used to have vista, and when i turned my computer on, only the fan went on, but the computer didn't boot...
i had a technician come here and check it out, to be honest he didn't seem to know what he was doing...
he said the problem was my HDD, i had a western digital.
Okay, so 2 months after of not turning off the computer i replace MY HDD, for another western digital, and install windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.
when 7 sleeps, when i ''wake'' it, the computer restarts, apparently the graphics card isn't compatible with sleep. so i simply don't let the computer sleep...
but today, i had the fan problem again, i press the button, fan turns on at max speed for 10 seconds, and then the computer starts booting, does that one beep, and the windows logo appears...
What the heck is this? i spent a lot of money on fixing what the technician said the problem was, i didn't think i would problems at least for another year... it's been less than a month since the new hdd, and OS.
Thanks for any replies.

Itanda

What graphics card are you using? Try installing the drivers if you didn't already? That MAY stop the windows 7 sleep to wake error. Give a complete list of all the parts in your computer so someone can give your PC a proper diagnosis

amando96

Okay, i was told maybe it's the battery on the motherboard, which feeds the RTC, and Some CMOS chip for the bios, could it be this?

Dystopia

Does the computer boot fine? If it does, don't worry about it. It is probably your video cards fan. I had a card that did that for a few seconds at first too, or maybe it was my old motherboard, I don't know. But if your computer is booting fine, then there is no problem, don't worry.

amando96

It boots fine, but if the same happens as last time, tomorrow it will not start if i turn it off tonight.
today the fan went on for 10 sec, and then it booted, but before the fan used to go on 20minutes and nothing happened, i was told the problem was with the HDD, but it seems like it's not...

Dystopia

Ok. Well, you could try and turn it off now, and see if it will work. Sounds like it could be a PSU problem, maybe motherboard. Can you test either?

amando96

if i restart it, it's fine, if i turn it off, and leave it overnight, it may have issues, the battery holds charge for a few hours, but not many, tonight i won't turn it off, and if i do i will leave the surge protector on, so it provides some power to the computer...
i reinstalled the driver for the graphics card too, just in case.

amando96

Any one have any idea what this could be??
i measured the battery with a multimeter, 2.93v and that's the BIOS said as well... so its not the battery??
and it crashed too... i left it hibernating at night(i usually leave it on, but it's bad for the disk, so i hibernated it)
and when it came out of hibernation it gave me a BSOD, windows found problem, and the computer will now go off for your safety(something like that) but didnt give me enough time to read it all, and went off, turned it back on, said there was no HDD(i think i plugged it in wrong) then i plugged it in right(after turning off), it installed some updates, and now i'm here using it...
this is really getting annoying... so it isn't the hdd, it isnt the battery? :(
i can't live without a computer(that works)

thanks.

I'm putting it to sleep tonight, if it acts up tomorrow, i will clean every slot, and reassemble it, if that won't do it, i will have to reinstall every driver...

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Sounds like it was likely a software issue.

Just recently my system started acting weird with Windows Vista (my Linux Operating System was working fine). I thought it was a hardware problem with my video card since I only seemed to have problems when running video games. I ran a System Restore and it fixed everything.